2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Maxtor external hard drive

I used the Maxtor One Touch III Mini to back up my XP computer. When I plug it in to my Windows 7 nothing happens. No new hardward, no error messages. It just doesn't exist. Any comments?

Thanks
    Make sure you have,ALL the USB Enabled in your bios.
    Here's a quote from the Maxtor forum;I searched and couldn't find a solution to get my Maxtor drive to be recognized by Windows 7. I am by no means an expert. I tried something very simple and it worked!!! I simply plugged in BOTH of the USB plugs (red and black) into my machine and it recognized the Maxtor as an external drive. I had only plugged in the red plug before. I hope this helps another "knows enough to be dangerous" user like myself.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 says it installed device driver and it was ready. It showed up in Devices and printers. Tried to open to view files and it just won't work. I will keep it with my XP computer. thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Maxtor did finally show up with its files. It was slower than using dial up for the internet. At least it will work on the Win7 computer if I need to transfer data from the XP.