Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting Formatted Text (Excel 2000 SR1)

Why does Excel strip all formatting from the text I paste into a cell? I can't find anything in the help file about this. It doesn't retain color, font, size . . .anything#@$!

It doesn't seem to matter where I get the text from either. If I copy from Word or another Excel cell.

I'm new to Excel but I didn't figure on having any problem this simple. Have I missed something?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting Formatted Text (Excel 2000 SR1)

David,

Me again!

Get a copy of the current Woody's Office Watch, V6#46 which is discussing Pasting Text and have a read. Also get last week's if you can, in fact every week is worth a read!!

I haven't read mine yet, so can only say I understand your problem, and I know Excel seems very much the boss of its own patch!

Hope this helps

Peter Moran

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Peter. I have already read this weeks WOW. I was already using the PasteUnformatted Text macro in Word97 at work and Word2000 at home.

My problem is the opposite, namely, getting Excel to paste formatted text.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

David, I don't know that it can be done as text pasted into Excel inherits the active Excel Style, even in a textbox. However, you could embed a blank Word document or embed the actual Word document in the spreadsheet. Insert, Object, either MS Word, then cut and paste the desired text, or Create from File, select the file, then edit after it's inserted to Excel.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Do you mean you want variable formatting of the text inside the cell?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

No. I just want to be able to bring formatting to any cell from another location (another cell or another program like Word).

Thanks

I'm missing something here. Excel should paste everything when you paste. That is its default behaviour. You are saying this doesn't happen? That is if I have a cell containing $100.00 and if you paste it you just get 100?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

No. All text is pasted but no formatting is brought in. John is right (see above). We should end this thread. I hate wasting your time on a simple curiosity. Thanks to all who responded.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Before we end the thread, I would point out that I have no difficulty pasting both content and format from bot within Excel and from Word and other programs. I attach a snap of a copy and paste of your signature line, straight from this webpage.

What button or menu option do you use for pasting. ?

Andrew C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Ho boy. What a mess. Thanks for the visual proof Andrew. I've tried both Cntrl+c and Edit-->Paste to no avail.

Here's the mess I may have created. I never mentioned that I only first tried to copy formatted text AFTER I had tried to create a "PasteUnformatted" macro in Excel per Woody's instructions in a recent issue of WOW. I use this macro quite often in Word. I may have created this monster myself. The keyboard shortcut I assigned was Cntrl+u so it shouldn't effect Cntrl+c, but maybe it is. I tried to delete the macro but I get the message, "Cannot edit a macro on a hidden workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide command." How do I unhide it so I can delete it and start over? BTW, it's the only macro listed in the Tools-->Macro-->Macros.. dialog.

Thanks for the help.

Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I really need to log out and read the manual. I deleted the only macro by checking Window-->Unhide then deleting it. Closed Excel, reopened and tried pasting the "Woody's Lounge" text at top of this web page. In Word the formatting was retained as green Comic Sans 13pt text.

No go in Excel. Edit-->Paste just gets copied as Arial 10pt, the default formatting. Let me do some reading and then get back after I've done some studying. One question before I go. Does Excel have an equivalent of Normal.dot? Maybe I have corrupted it.

I'm finding Excel to be very different under Options. For example, Tools-->Options-->General has settings for . . .
    Alternate startup file location:
    What the hell happened to 'Default startup location"??? Why is only the alternate location listed?

Questions, questions. Study, study.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

David,

Excel does not have an exact equivalent of Normal.dot (thankfully), but does have 2 or three items that combined provide much the same functionality. There is Personal.xls ,which is probably the file you had to unhide to delete the macro. This file is designed to hold all your macros that you wish to have globally available for all workbooks. There is another file, Book.xlt which is used to store settings that you may wish to apply to all your workbooks, such as formatting, page setup etc. There is also a Sheet.xlt, which holds all setings which you want to apply to new sheets that you insert into a workbook.

None of these files are essential, and probably do not exist until you create them. They are stored in your XLStart directory, the path to which is typically (though not necessarily) ..Microsoft OfficeOfficeXLStart. This is the main default startup directory. You can set up an additional alternate startup directory in Tools | Options, which you have discovered. This is really intended for shared startup files for a workgroup across a network. It is a little confusing to call it an alternate startup directory because as far as I can discern it is additional to XLStart.

If you are still having problems pasting, try navigating to your XLStart directory and move all files to a temporary location, restart Excel and see if the problem persists.

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, am I missing something? Your example is a picture, not editable text which has maintained the formatting, correct?
    UTC -7ąDS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I should really have attached a workdheet, but the picture shown is of the editable text as pasted in a worksheet. Sorry for the confusion.

See attached sheet. I just copied the data and pasted directly into a worksheet.

Andrew C
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I can also paste from HTML to XL97 and retain formatting, and I can paste from HTML to Word97 and retain formatting, but I can't paste the same formatted text directly from Word97 to XL97 and retain formatting. Weird (and annoying).
    UTC -7ąDS