Thread: WD Ext Hardrive

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

WD Ext Hardrive

I have a WD Ext Hardrive Drive. I backed up my files at the office (Windows 7 OP System) yesterday. I wanted to access a file at home (PC loaded with Windows XP), but when I plugged in the Ext HD , a message comes up "USB Device not recognised -one of the USB devices attached to this computer has mulfunctioned and Windows does not recognise this. For assistance in solving this problem, please click the message".

The light at the back of the EXT HD comes on. I then tried to connect the Ext HD to my Laptop , which uses Windows XP, but the same error comes up.

It would be appreciated if anyone assist me in resolving this problem

Thanks
    Try this Microsoft fix.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry

Thanks for the reply. I estsblished the the WD Ext HD was damaged and have replaced this with a new one

Thanks
    In just the past few years, I have seen several External Hard Drives go bad and they were all WD brand.
    Coincidence? I think not. Every internal HD that I've had to replace in the last few years has been a WD also.
    I've replaced every one of those WD's with a Seagate and so far none have failed.

So my advise to any of my customers wanting an external HD, is to buy Seagate or at least NOT a WD.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Conversely, all the annoyed comments I've seen recently have been about Seagate disks, rather than about Western Digital. (And I can be extremely rude about my snappily-named Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk, if you like?)

The drives most people seem to like are Samsung Spinpoint F3s - except for a recent supplier of second-hand Optiplexes, who said he wouldn't touch them!

The equation is External hard disk = Internal hard disk + USB caddy and its electronics.

Moral? They all go wrong. Some go wrong sooner than later (usually whatever type you bought...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    The drives most people seem to like are Samsung Spinpoint F3s
    I'm one of them and here's why!

I was using a Maxtor 500GB SATAII 32MB cache drive which started giving SMART errors on bootup so a quick backup and replacement was in order.

My local PC shop sold me a Spinpoint F3 500GB with only 16MB cache and I expected it to be a bit slower. Boy was I wrong! After restoring my my backup onto the new drive it was like having a new PC.

The speedtest below shows how fast the beast runs, just a pity I don't have one from the old Maxtor for comparison.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had at least one of every brand fail on me, the most recent a 2TB Seagate Barracuda...its the nature of mechanical drives.

There are periods of time when one brand or another will have a recognized problem and its good to try and steer clear of them during those times.