Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade Question with Slipstreamed SP1

I have a twist on all the articles available on upgrading. I have Vista 64 bit and an upgrade copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that is the original from 2 years ago.
    I want to upgrade to a dual boot configuration with Vista and Windows 7, so the Windows 7 will be clean. That seems straight forward by inserting the upgrade DVD while running Vista, or booting directly. If I upgrade Vista who knows what will happen and there are 2 years worth of SP1; SP2 and a gazillion hotfixes installed although the advantage is most apps will not have to be reinstalled.
    However, I have noticed that there is a download from Digital River that is the SP1 slipstreamed version that is obviously the full DVD, probably of all versions.
    If I use my upgrade DVD I have to go through all the updates which will take a while and leave a lot of crud. I prefer to install the SP1 version directly.
    The question is whether I can use the downloaded ISO file (burned to a DVD) for the upgrade. Will it do a dual boot install, and will my upgrade key be valid?
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I BELIEVE it will work with the upgrade serial number, but I see little value in a Vista/Win7 double boot. IMHO, the best solutions would be:
    a.)Destructive installation of Win7 and reinstall all programs
    b.) In-place upgrade of Vista to Win7 (You could do a full backup of the Vista installation to another drive, and restore it if Win7 doesn't do everything you want it to, then proceed with a. or your original plan.)

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I BELIEVE it will work with the upgrade serial number, but I see little value in a Vista/Win7 double boot. IMHO, the best solutions would be:
    a.)Destructive installation of Win7 and reinstall all programs
    b.) In-place upgrade of Vista to Win7 (You could do a full backup of the Vista installation to another drive, and restore it if Win7 doesn't do everything you want it to, then proceed with a. or your original plan.)

Zig
    Zig, thanks. I was planning to do a variation of both of those.
    Regarding b) I have Acronis which images the partition and I have successfully restored it so I know it works. That will be the fall back. I prefer not to do an in place upgrade so I can clean out all the garbage and start fresh (and not fight issues with apps that don't work due to drivers etc), but it may be the quickest route. Some apps like Paperport have a whole new version to install for Win7. Acronis may be another issue to check as their latest versions are so full of bugs they can't be trusted and their new GUI is almost unusable. I need to verify my current version continues to work.

Regarding a), that is what I planned to do with the dual boot. Do a full clean install on a separate partition (I have lots of space) and reinstall all apps; customizations etc at my leisure and make sure everything works right. My data is on a separate partition already and can be shared. This will take me a long time to get all done; download drivers; check everything works. During that time I will continue to use Vista for normal computing and then delete Vista.

Thanks
    Yes you can use the Digital River iso download and your original key to clean install Win 7. There have been other updates since this download was issued, so all those would also need to be installed. Make a list of the apps you have installed before you start, and perhaps download the apps you need onto a flash drive. Be sure to put any registration info onto a txt file on the flash drive. Evem better I put all my registration numbers into my Last Pass account so it's easily available to copy and paste into the apps when I install them. I would also export your email (including contacts) as a csv file to the flash drive. Back up all data to make sure you have the latest data available to put back into Win 7. I think you will find the reinstallation of Win 7 will go faster than you anticipate. An app such as Ultimate Windows Tweaker might help with your customizations. Have fun!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If your system is running well under Vista then an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 will probably work OK.

If you decide to clean install Windows 7, first check that Windows 7 drivers are available for all your devices. Most of the time Vista drivers will work if Win7 drivers are not available.

NOTE: if you have a 32-bit version of Vista and are upgrading to a 64-bit version of Win7 you MUST do a clean install.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all excellent help guys. Ted, the other option, which I prefer and have done before , (when going from XP to Vista) is to have all data and downloads in a separate partition. Then simply use that drive (in my case F: ) in the new system and everything is there. All my mail and contacts are already there as that is my default location for all data. When I install new apps in Windows 7, I simply point the new app to the existing data file and everything is copacetic. My software is in yet another partition that can be shared. Some apps these days put data in the various C:\users directories that don't move well, but I believe Vista shows up as a drive in windows 7 and I would simply copy. I even figured out how to move iTunes completely (not just the media folder)! There is a separate thread on moving the Outlook IMAP PST file which is the one bugaboo I know about.
    I think I will try a clean install. If unhappy for any reason, I can always go back and do the in place upgrade.
    Thanks again.
    I took the advice many years ago to put data in a separate partition.