New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Extender in Win7 Media Center

Looking for some assistance with installing a recently-purchased MCExtender (HP x280n) to Win7 Home Premium Media Center; did not see any applicable threads, so please accept my apologies up front if I missed it/them.

I have an HP m9400t PC that I upgraded (using a commercial Upgrade disk) from Vista to Win7 (both Home Premium) last year. Purchased the Ceton InfiniTV quad tuner card last month, swapped out a Motorola STB DVR with an M-stream CableCARD, and activated it successfully. Through a little hoop jumping, finally have the Ceton tuners installed in Media Center and can view and record TV as expected.

Tried to install the Extender on the PC, receive "Configuration Error" after entering the 8-digit code currently displayed. The Event Viewer presents "Event 523 - Media Center Extender Setup failed at step 120." My Windows firewall is currently OFF; both PC and Extender are connected to a single GigE switch; home router/firewall (with DHCP Server function enabled) is also connected to the same switch to enable Internet connections. Win7 SP1 has been installed on the PC; the PC can ping the Extender; the Extender can also stream stored media from the PC.

I have tried removing Certificates, disabling and re-enabling Media Center as a Windows component, forcing Jumbo Frames and Gigabit speed settings on the PC NIC, joining a different workgroup; none of these steps has helped. I have read in a few MS forum posts about MCX-* accounts and/or groups being created as part of the Media Center and Extender configuration process; I have no such accounts or groups defined on my system and wonder if this is the wrinkle.

If anyone has any ideas on what might work, short of reinstalling Win7, I would be greatly appreciative. I have no problems with creating users/groups, adjusting permissions, and even editing the Registry if necessary.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you used the HP information at Setting up the x280n?

Also, see x280 & Windows 7.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you used the HP information at Setting up the x280n?

Also, see x280 & Windows 7.

Joe
    First link barely mentions Media Center except during step of installing MediaSmart Connect: "Install patches for Extender for Windows Media Center host (Vista Home Premium or Ultimate only). " -- remainder only references Windows Media Player sharing, which I mentioned above works already. Second link is similar in that it also does not address MC Extender configuration.

I have read multiple forum posts that indicate installation of the HP MediaSmart Connect software is completely unnecessary; unfortunately, they were also running Win7 Professional or Ultimate (usually a clean installation) whereas I am running Home Premium from a Vista upgrade.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    That is all I could find about the x280n. Evidently, HP never released any Windows 7 drivers. So, if the Vista software does not work I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Joe