New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010, Win 7 64-bit; Failure to copy large Clipboard

I have a Word 2010 Tab-delimited .rtf file. 5 tabs wide and 40,000 lines long -- around 20Mb. If I Select-All and Copy to Clipboard and then try to paste into an empty Excel 2010 file, I usually loose about the last 20 - 50% of the file and usually words which are in bold or italics come out as plain text. However if I Copy-Paste the first half of the Word file and then do the same for the 2nd half, then things are generally OK, except I usually loose bolds and italics. Any suggestions, please.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Using Copy/Paste to get such a large amount of data from a Word/rtf file into Excel doesn't seem like a reliable approach in the first place.
    When you Select All and Copy the entirety of an .rtf file, along with the data you're also copying a massive amount of formatting information to the clipboard.
    Excel then has to do a lot of extra processing to make sense of everything it's being asked to Paste in.
    The .rtf file is also much larger than it needs to be, because it's storing formatting information along with the data itself.

Instead of an .rtf file, a .txt file would be much better for this situation because (1) the file will only contain data, and (2) Excel is set up to easily import data from a .txt file (whereas it can't do so with an .rtf file).

You can open the .rtf file in Word, and then Save As to save it as a .txt file.
    Once you have the .txt file, close it, and then:

• In Excel open a new workbook, and in the Data tab on the Ribbon, look for the 'Get External Data' group and then click on 'From Text'.
    • This will present a wizard dialog with easy steps to navigate to the .txt file and then import the data (for the data import part, you should pretty much be able to use the default each step of the way).

You should then end up with the data in Excel the way you need it.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Footnote to my first post: Re-reading your post, it sounds like you may need to retain bold and italic formatting that's associated with the data in the .rtf file. If that's the case, then saving as a .txt file will definitely strip out all formatting.

If you do need to keep the formatting, then the Import Data method alone won't do the job. As to how to reliably get all that formatted data copied from Word into Excel, have to think some more about that!

Gary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Frieder For This Useful Post:

WinStanley (2011-09-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks gary. Unfortunately my only source of the tab-delimited file is in Word. So I am stuck with this. Any further suggestions, Gary, would be much appreciated -- or from any othe Lounge members. At the moment I can only get a perfect import into Excel is by Cutting & Pasting the Word file one half at a time, namely about 10Mb at a time. I have 12Gb memory.
    WinStanley

Thanks
    I think Excel may implicitly be using its text converter. This is faster than when you paste a table from Word into Excel, but pasting a table (or half a table at a time, since there is considerable overhead) might preserve the formatting.