New Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating Outlook 2000 & 2002 to Outlook 2010

Just getting started on upgrading over 200 Window XP to Windows 7; and MS Office 2000 and MS Office 2002 to MS Office 2010.

Not one of the 1st 4 went smoothly. Some of my users have pushed the 2GB limit and in one case that is why we jumped to 2010; however, the PST format remained pre-2003. It did not convert automatically to 2010 format and kept the 2GB limit.

I had moved the PST out of the user's profile but left it in another NEW FOLDER on the same hard drive. When I setup Office 2010 and then ran Outlook 2010 the user's EMAIL showed up and later a warning popped up that there was a 2GB limit. This caused much agony.

My solution came about by much trial and error and I would like to have clear direction before I go forward with any others. Does anyone have a clear map I can follow?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    It is time consuming but what you need to do is create a new PST file for each account. Open Outlook with the new data file, which should be in the new format, then use Outlook to open an Outlook data file (i.e. the old pst file), and then drag and drop the data you wish to keep.

You might also want to read the Planning the Deployment section at Office 2010 Resource Kit for information on the upgrade process.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 - Thank you for your rapid response and good counsel. I am reading the TechNet office resource kit...good stuff. You said to "drag and drop the data you wish to keep"; question: would this be better than importing? Would the importing possibly still run the risk of preserving the old 2002 pst format with the 2GB limit? HillCoRob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You can do whichever is easier for you. Importing will not change the format of the new PST.

Joe