New Lounger
    Thanks

Update to Win 7 or wait for 8

My first post. Yea! I'm running window vista home premium. I was going to up grade to windows 7 but now I'm thinking it might be better to wait for windows 8. My computer can more than handle the upgrade. Any thought on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    cjbpizza, Welcome to the Lounge.

I would definitely go for Win 7. From all I've read, Win 8 will allow much better use with touch screen PCs, with some other enhancements. I would definitely like to play with it, but Win 7 is here now and a nice upgrade from Vista. It appears you will have to wait at least a year for Win 8. Long time to be chomping at the bit in my book.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding. My wife is running win 7 on her computer and it seems to be a pretty solid operating system. Many nice features over win vista. I think I'll go with your advise. From what I've read about win 8, there doesn't seem to be any big "jumps" in features over win 7. Thanks again!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It's possible for Win 8 to be out in spring 2012, but that still means 6 months to wait and that is likely a best case scenario. Probably more info will be known this month, with Microsoft's BUILD conference. Seems Windows 8 will bring a lot of improvements, though, and not only a touch first interface.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If there is any version of Windows 8 released by spring 2010, it will most likely be for a tablet so there can be a legitimate IPAD option. There will be much more revealed at the BUILD conference next week.

If you want more information on Windows 8 see Building Windows 8. This blog is headed by Steven Sinofsky, the head of Windows development. Developers contribute the more technical entries. Remember, this is what Microsoft wants you to know about Windows 8. It is not a Q&A or two way conversation.

Joe

Thanks
    The Windows8Center also includes a lot of info on what's it is thought will be going on with Win 8. It does appear that the ribbon seen in Office 2007 and 2010 as well as WLM will be extended even further in Win 8. I am definitely looking forward to playing with Win 8 and exploring it's improvements, but I would never want to wait until who knows when next year. Windows 8 Beta seems to have a plethera of info as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy