New Lounger
    Thanks

CD-Rom drive not recognized after new hard drive installed

I had my 300-G C-hard drive replaced with a 1-T hard drive; we used a "clone" program to transfer everything from Old hard-drive to new, it took three hours. Only a couple of applications had to be reinstalled; otherwise, everything transferred without a hitch. I've reformatted the old 300-G hard drive and use it as an internal backup drive for data files.

PROBLEM: The CD-Rom drives [have two: one internal + one external] doesn't show-up on "Computer" with drive letters. When I check "Printers & Devices"; [the external LG SuperMulti CD-RW] is shown there with a yellow triangle and the Device status: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete. The same message shows when I check Properties of the CPU [also shown with a yellow triangle on "Devices"] The internal CD-RW Drive status says "...working properly.." yet nothing happens when I place a CD in the drive.

I thought about reinstalling Windows 7 OS upgrade disc, but since neither CD drives work, this can't be done! Any suggestions?

Thanks
    A Google search reveals ways to install Win 7 from a flash drive. You can actually download the Win 7 iso file with SP1 already incorporated directly from Digital River. This should be able to be placed on the flash drive using methods shown.

What cloning app did you use? I would not have expected any apps to need reinstalling. I do not use Cloning, I use Imaging. Did you attempt to create an Image of the old HD, then using the apps boot media restore the Image to the new HD? I can create an Image using Acronis True Image Home 2011 or 2010 in about 20 minutes (including verification), then can restore to a HD in less than 10 minutes. (I cannot comment on version 2012 as I have not used this brand new version) The other app discussed in these forums is Macrium Reflect. I again do not have personal experience with Macrium.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried deleting the devices and then re-booting to let Windows rediscover them?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'm downloading from Digital River; it says download time remaining is 1 hr 17 min, and only 3% done so far. I'll report back to let you know the result of your suggesstion.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks; I'll try this as soon as I finish downloading Win 7 iso file with SP1.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I delete the internal CD-Rom drive that came with the machine? I disconnected the USB of the external CD-Rom and it disappeared; when I plugged it back in, the same problem: "Device driver software not successfully installed..." "CD Rom failed"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBHancock View Post

PROBLEM: The CD-Rom drives [have two: one internal + one external] doesn't show-up on "Computer" with drive letters.
    EJ

Hello... Did you try running "Disk Management" ? They may be showing up there with no drive letters assigned .. If so all you need to do is "Right Click" on each one and assign a letter... Regards Fred

PS: Also in "Device manager" you can select the DVD\CD-ROM drives and click on each one to "Update Driver"
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-09 at 14:29.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBHancock View Post
    How do I delete the internal CD-Rom drive that came with the machine? I disconnected the USB of the external CD-Rom and it disappeared; when I plugged it back in, the same problem: "Device driver software not successfully installed..." "CD Rom failed"
    I believe you can go into Device Manager and remove it there. Type Device Manager into the search box.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like a filters problem. There's a fix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 but it involves editing the registry.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be worth trying first to remove the 300Gb drive then logged in as an Administrator use Device Manager to 'Uninstall' the CD/DVD drives with the yellow triangles (right click on device and select 'Uninstall'). Then click on scan for hardware changes. See if they come back with yellow triangles. If they do right click on them and 'Update driver software...'
    Expert help is less costly than inexpert help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I do not use Cloning, I use Imaging.
    The only real differences between a disk "clone" and a disk "image" is that an image is usually compressed, while a clone is not, and a clone copies the free space as well as files on the entire drive, and most imaging software ignores the free space by default, only noting the size of the drive/partition.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The routine to use for such a procedure is to install the new drive, clone the old drive to the new drive, shut down and remove the old drive (or at least unplug all its connections), disconnect the new drive and reconnect it using the cables that connected the old drive, and then boot the machine.

It should boot and run as normal, recognize the size of the new drive, and all programs should run as they did before; nothing should need to be reinstalled. There will be no re-assignment of drive letters.

After everything checks out, you can then re-install the old drive (which is now a "new" drive to Windows). The CD drive(s) should retain their drive letters, and the new/old drive will be assigned the next available drive letter. From that point, you can use it as you wish.

Is that the way you did it?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows