New Lounger
    Thanks

Move Windows to new partition?

Hi -

I have Windows 7 x64 multibooting on two partitions (C and E) on the same disk. A third partition (D) is used for data only.

I want to wipe the old/damaged installation on drive C and retain the good installation on drive E - and I would like to move the good installation to drive C. Partition E is larger than partition C, though there is more than enough space on C for the system & application files on E.

One option is to use a disk/partition manager (Paragon HDM Suite) to delete C, resize E, move E to C. Another possibility is to use a partition image backup (Macrium Reflect) to move the E image to C, resizing as needed at some point. Or I could reinstall Windows + applications to C...

I would like to avoid making the PC unbootable or otherwise making both installations unusable! Other than leaving well alone, what would someone who understands Windows disk partitioning recommend?

Peter

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Polwhele View Post
    Hi -

I have Windows 7 x64 multibooting on two partitions (C and E) on the same disk. A third partition (D) is used for data only.

I want to wipe the old/damaged installation on drive C and retain the good installation on drive E - and I would like to move the good installation to drive C. Partition E is larger than partition C
    Peter,
    Hello... First a few questions ..Just want to make sure that I'm understanding you correctly.
    1. Are both OS's Windows 7 ?

2. Do you want to end up with just two partitions C: & D: ?

OK... First thing i would do is download and install a free program called EasyBCD..Install it on the OS that you want to be the default . Give the OS a name like "Windows 7\64" and make it your default...

Next i would do a Macrium Image of the default, and save it to your "D" HD... Make sure that you have the recovery disk "Burned"

At this point you you can proceed several ways...You can run Macrium from within windows and place the Image to where you decide ( first partition of the first HD)... or Run Macrium from the boot disk.

You can do the partitioning either way ... either at boot time with a partition manager like "G Parted" Gparted Free ...then run Macrium or move things around after doing the new install... Post back with your questions as you want to be sure that you understand everything before you start Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-10 at 14:42.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Polwhele (2011-09-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Peter,
    Hello... First a few questions ..Just want to make sure that I'm understanding you correctly.
    1. Are both OS's Windows 7 ?

2. Do you want to end up with just two partitions C: & D: ?

OK... First thing i would do is download and install a free program called EasyBCD..Install it on the OS that you want to be the default . Give the OS a name like "Windows 7\64" and make it your default...

Next i would do a Macrium Image of the default, and save it to your "D" HD... Make sure that you have the recovery disk "Burned"

At this point you you can proceed several ways...You can run Macrium from within windows and place the Image to where you decide ( first partition of the first HD)... or Run Macrium from the boot disk.

You can do the partitioning either way ... either at boot time with a partition manager like "G Parted" Gparted Free ...then run Macrium or move things around after doing the new install... Post back with your questions as you want to be sure that you understand everything before you start Regards Fred
    Thanks Fred!

Regarding your questions, yes both OS's are Windows 7. And I do want to retain a D partition for data while shifting the system partition to C.

The process you recommend seems straightforward, I don't have any further questions at the moment. However, I have some important tasks to complete over the next few days so won't attempt the move until they are done.

Regards,
    Peter