5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVDs not running when click play

Hi All
    I have a problem with dvds when inserted to CD drive when click on play from 'My Computer' it comes up with error >
    "windows cannot access the specific device, path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the file"

I have used "take ownership", and I am administrator.
    How do I over come this problem?

If I open the disk I can run the DVD by clicking on the first .VOB files in the TS folder.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-09-10 at 12:01.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Curious Clive,

I'm sure this isn't the problem but in your OP you mixed terminology. If you are truely inserting a DVD into a CD drive it will NOT work. However, if what you actually have is a DVD drive then it is most likely a problem with either the drivers for the DVD drive or the CODEC files that decode the DVD disk. I'd first try going into Device Manager and deleting the DVD drive then reboot and let Windows rediscover the drive and hopefully install the proper driver files. If that doesn't solve the problem you may have to visit the DVD drive manufacturer's website and download the correct drivers from there.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Retired Geek
    Sorry about terminology but it is a DVD/CD drive im am talking about.
    You may be right that the drivers may need re-installing but it is happening on both of my DVD/CD players which are different models so should have different drivers. But will look see.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have uninstall both drives in Device Manager and re-installing them which puts windows default drivers in but still same problem.
    If it was codecs I would expect a problem with media player errors not the drive itself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ha ve done a non destructive repair as a post on here descrbed but after many hours trying to get it to work It succeeded. But it did nothing to fix the cd /dvd problem. In fact caused some programs not to run correctly. Fixed these by restoring back to an image I created before non destructive repair which of course still has the cd/dvd problem.
    I cannot believe that a dvd will not start using media player as default with above error with out any means of changing permissions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a guess

Take a look at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If rmonroe is correct in his guess about filters, the error is usually reported (under the properties section for the device as listed in device manager) as "a driver is missing (error Code 39); this may also (under other circumstances) affect the functioning of mice & keyboards).

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Take a look at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
    Thanks Monroe had a look at the link it was for XP but tried what it suggested anyway but did not resolve issue.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To get back to my post , I have also tried a complete re-install of windows but problem remained except that memory sticks at last showed pop-up asking me what I wanted to do.
    I am beginning to think it may be hardware or bios related but cannot understand why two drives should give same errors if hardware so will look into bios to see if I can see anything related to DVD/CD rom drives.