New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Annoyance

I am running an up to date Windows 7 64 bit system. Despite this, Windows Update continues to offer me IE9 for 64 bit based systems. There is no KB reference - just the offer of IE9 for 64 bit based systems. I already have IE9 64 bit and it is right up to date. I have searched for a solution to try and swat this fly but haven't found an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Stephen

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There should always be a Knowledge Base reference to a Windows Update. Can you post a snip or screen grab of the Windows Update you are being offered as it sounds like a possible scam attempting to trick you into downloading some malware.

If you believe it's genuine, right click on the update being offered. This will show a context menu offering you the chance to hide or copy details. Selecting Hide will prevent Windows Update bugging you about it again, but before you do that, perhaps select Copy details and paste back here to verify it is the real deal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    There should always be a Knowledge Base reference to a Windows Update.
    IE9 is not a "Windows Update", even though it is offered through Windows Update. It is the next version of Internet Explorer following IE8. For that reason, there is no Knowledge Base reference for this "update".

I have not yet installed IE9; there is a feature in my printer software that I like to use that is not supported in IE9, or IE9 is not supported by my printer software. At any rate, I'm holding off until there is an update for my printer that supports IE9 before I step up.

Were I in montrealguy's shoes, I would select "Install" for IE9, and let Windows 7 correct its own mistake.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    IE9 is not a "Windows Update", even though it is offered through Windows Update.
    Well, you learn something new every day!

Thanks bbearren.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

The update looks like this:

Update Capture.PNG

If I try and install this update it always fails and the results look like this:

Fail Capture.PNG

If I try the Windows Update troubleshooter it runs and then I am back to square one. Around and around......

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
    Stephen

P.S. I hope those screen captures are legible. They seem fine here but when I post them in this message they are tiny!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK Stephen, as per bbearren's note and inspecting the images (they are fine if you click on them!), it seems a genuine Windows Update screen. Google throws up many instances of that error and no magic bullet. The most often tried trick is to uninstall IE, then download IE9 direct from Microsoft.

I can't say that I've seen that error myself, so I don't know if any of the listed things will work, but if you do remove IE, be sure to install another browser first and to take a full system image.

If you want to sweep it under the carpet, you can right-click on the offered "update" and select Hide. That should (assuming this works for an "update" that isn't an update!) prevent from being offered again.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-09-10 at 19:33. Reason: Typo in last paragraph

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

montrealguy (2011-09-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tinto Tech. I don't think I'll go through the hassle of reinstalling IE9 but right clicking and hiding has sent it cowering under the covers and as far as I'm concerned it can stay there. :-)

It figures that it was something simple to sort it out and I'm grateful for the advice. As you sad, we all learn something new every day.

Cheers,
    Stephen