New Lounger
    Thanks

Real Time File Backup Software That's Light on Resources

I've been trying to find a good file backup program that does real time continuous backups that is also easy on resources. The ones I've used so far - like SmartWare that comes with Western Digital drives - slows my fairly new computer down so much that I can't run it full time or have to run it at night which to me defeats the purpose. Also, it needs to be affordable. Any recommendations ? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell XPS8000 64-bit desktop machine with an Intel i7 processor (2.8 Ghz) with 8 GB of RAM.

Mel
    Mel

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    On Windows 7 you arelady have a "real time" backup of sorts by right clicking a file and Restore Previous Versions.

However, that backup is on your workstation and embedded into the OS. If you wish to dump a backup to an external drive, you are going to have to make a compromise over the "Real Time" bit if you are not to put undue load on the system.

There are many good backup tools and suites that will offer file and folder backup as well as full image capabilities. You could schedule a file and folder backup for critical files every few minutes. Configuring the backup to save differential backups will only consume backup storage space if the file has changed since last backup.

You might look at Norton Ghost (for both Disk Image and File and Folder), Macrium Reflect (you'll need the paid-for version for file and folder backupI believe), Acronis True Image (Both File and Folder and Images), or SyncBack for a nifty and lightweight file and folder backup tool. I've used all those with a good degree of success, but you do need to be clear about what you need in terms of "real time".

I use Norton Ghost.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a couple largish USB drives and one WD NAS drive that I use for storage, and yes dumping the backups to the external drives is what I want to do. I found that I can't use the Windows Backup in Windows 7 to send backups to my NAS drive (refuses to recognize any drive not physically attached), and that's where I would really like to start putting my backups. I use Ghost 15 to do image backups but to me it's very lame & difficult to use for doing file backups and especially looking through those backups to see what you have in them. Another file backup program besides Western Digital's SmartWare that I used and gave up on was GenieTimeline. It sounded really good but basically it hogged too much of my computer. I would hate to go to Acronis TrueImage because I've already paid for Ghost and I don't think they play well together. Guess I'll take a look at the other two you mentioned - Macrium Reflect and SyncBack. I'm not familiar with either of those two.

Thanks for the advice.
    Mel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect

Tinto Tech

According to their website if you have Windows 7 64-bit you have to have one of the pay versions for the software to be fully compatible. Is that true or am I reading too much into that ?
    Mel

Thanks
    According to Macrium Reflect the free version is fully compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. This site will show the differences, but both work with both bitness versions of Win 7.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-17 at 08:12.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've deployed Macrium Reflect Free on both x32 and x64 systems without problem. This page explains the download contains both x32 and x64 version of the free program.

However, I believe that the free edition will not give you file and folder backup.

I found SyncBack to be quite good for near real-time differential file backups once the initial replication had taken place. For my images, I use Ghost v 15 writing to a NAS.