Thanks

Updating Software.

Hello People.

It has come to my attention that installing a program's updated version on top of the old one may not work as cleanly as it should, even if the old and new ones were installed correctly in the first place.
    I like to read blogs from various people's web sites, if I find anything of interest, I use CutePDF Writer to print it in PDF format for future reference. All was going well with Firefox 5.0.1, then it got updated twice. Now the text, top and bottom of the PDF is garbled.
    I wasted my time trying various methods to fix it. All failed. So I used Revo Uninstaller (default settings) to remove FF, reinstalled it correctly, normal service resumed.
    To install, I right clicked the file, selected Properties and Unblocked it. Right clicked it again and selected Run as administrator.
    Its worth noting, even downloading from MS, your pc may block it, then it will not have the necessary privileges to install correctly.

Look.JPG
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    Hello People.

It has come to my attention that installing a program's updated version on top of the old one may not work as cleanly as it should, even if the old and new ones were installed correctly in the first place.
    Look,
    Hello...One more piece of advice... I have found that downloading the file first ...then installing it is a better way to go .I use a free program from FileHippo that you can configure to scan your PC when booted up.It will tell you if there are any updates or new versions available...( for your installed programs) This way you can save a few of the older versions of the programs on your PC ..In the case they "Misbehave" Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-11 at 16:13.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hello Fred, Nice to meet you.
    I tried installing FileHippo Updater but it would not run at start up, so I use the portable version.
    I always dl and save before installing. BUT that was not what my post was about.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

Thanks
    I too use File Hippo and I get their email list of new programs every day. It keeps me up to date on important things I share with my PC customers, like the latest K-Lite Codec packs, Flash Player, Shockwave, etc.

But FH doesn't just run when I boot up my PC. It runs when I select it from my Programs menu and double click it to run it. Eh?

They are going to give you a heads up on a lot of stuff you don't want or need, but that's OK, better to have too much knowledge than not enough.

I know of no other company that provides such a great service..... and did I mention...........It's FREE!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Same here DrWho. Nothing starts on my PC unless I want it to. And Update Checker only runs when I request it to run. I do check it a couple times per week.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy