Thread: Backup and sync

New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup and sync

For some time I have backed up my 2 laptops (Vista Business SP2 and XP Pro SP3, both 32-bit) with MozyHome. This backs up each set of files separately but I also want something which syncs between the two. Mozy have a private beta ('Stash') but only for U.S. so far. To sync I was thinking of Syncplicity but will this conflict with Mozy, if both are running simultaneously?

I have intermittently used SyncBackSE but have recently had problems with it. Even when it works, I find it very cumbersome. I would prefer something which synced automatically without fuss.

The Vista laptop is my main machine but I'm taking the smaller XP one away soon and want to have my latest files there as well.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sync depends on how much data you have. Personally I don't trust my data to third parties so I would network the machines and use software that syncs over the network, like Windows built-in briefcase.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The two online backup programs wouldn't conflict but they might slow your system down a bit since they may be trying to access the same file at the same time to back it up. Syncplicity looks like it monitors real time so it would be better if Mozy was not doing the same thing. Is there something problematic about Vista that makes Syncback cumbersome? I use it on XP and W7 systems and its extremely effective...I have to remember to check it once in a while just to make sure its still doing its job. I only synchronize once a day though.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Vista often seems to have problems. I have used SyncBackSE spasmodically in the past; sometimes it works; recently I started getting weird and varied error messages. I have just redownloaded it in case the existing file was corrupted and will try again.

The Mozy 'Stash' (now in early beta and not yet available in the UK) would be ideal as I already backup with Mozy but I need to get something in place before I go away next week.