LuiGreco

Linking text files with .data extensions (Access 97 SR1 - Operating system windows 2000 )

I maintain an application which loads text files that are : deliminited. These files have a .data extension. When running the link table wizzard in Access 97, I receive an error indicating I don't have permission to write to a local directory.

I in fact have full writes to the directory.
    When I change the file extension to .txt, the wizzard works fine.

Although this has been my solution in the past, it isn't appropriate as my client doesn't encounter the issue.
    Looking for some way to modify the Windows 2000 ODBC text driver to recognize .data as valid text file extensions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking text files with .data extensions (Access 97 SR1 - Operating sy

Dat is an accepted extension for a type of database file, so that may be what you're running into. I'd suggest you change the extension to something else instead of trying to modify the ODBC driver, which would have ramifications for the rest of your system, not just one file type for a single application.
    Charlotte

lameid

For what it's worth...
    I'm experiencing a similar problem with the File search object. I confirmed that the same code works in Access 2000 on a Win2k machine. Although I'm Running SR2 and Jet 3.5 SP3 (if memory serves, sp4 is the annoying one with the security update to the text ISAM that could cause your problem on different OS's)

LuiGreco

Thanks for replying. I've searched through the Microsoft KB on how to modify the txt odbc driver with no luck.
    Probably going to end up just changing the file extensions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

See article Q245407 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. This deals with the problem for A2000. It requires a Registry Key change. The fix for A97 is similar (except the name of the registry key is different because of different version of Jet). You should be able to look it up in KB.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.