New Lounger

Exclamation How to set share permissions on "D" before/after reinstall OS 2003 on "C"?

We need to reinstall our OS (Win 2003 Std 32-bit) on the "C" drive of our server after a hack attack. This server is our file server and the "D" drive contains ALL the network shares and user folders (for user file backup copies etc).

The folders have a mix of share and NTFS permissions currently due to hands-on managing of permissions (by a former IT employee) and some were setup with a share software package (Varonis), but that trial has ended.

I am concerned that when I reinstall the OS on C, that I'll loose permissions on "D", even if I recreate the same Shared Folder names.

Can someone tell me what will happen and/or the correct "best practice" way to prepare those existing shares and folders before and after the OS reinstall so that everyone retains their permissions without us having to manually do what the head of IT wants us to do currently (unless he's right), which is:

1) Remove all NTFS permissions just prior to reinstall of OS

2) After OS reinstall, go back and set permission again on each share folder and user folder.

Note: Some folders may have stopped inheriting permissions, so this may not be as easy as top-down massive changes.

Help. I really don't want to do this and find out no one can get to their data or we might be in serious trouble.

Thanks in advance!

Silicon Valley, USA
    I used the old CACLS to document permissions, but never tried to actually reapply them. The newer Icacls utility should allow you to to export/import (backup/restore) the permissions, at least based on a quick read of a few articles.

WS Lounge VIP
    jscher, permissions are stored with the files. As long as the disk containing the files is not modified there is no need to do anything with permissions.
    If you are copying files to another disk you can use Robocopy with the /SOU options to copy Security, Owner and aUditing information.

cheers, Paul