New Lounger
    Thanks

HP LaserJet 2200D custom paper sizes not working

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Now I'm trying to get my legacy hardware to work and generally speaking, things are going well. Except for the HP LaserJet 2200D printer--my workhorse.

Oh, it prints fine as long as I just want to print on letter size paper. I can even duplex. Works with the driver automatically chosen by Windows 7 when I plug in the USB port, as well as the HP PCL6 and PCL5 x64 universal drivers.

However, I print on a lot of custom paper sizes from as mundane as a #6 3/4 envelope to a bank deposit slip. None of the drivers will handle custom paper sizes correctly. I can define the custom paper size. I set everything up so that the default for Tray 1 is the custom paper size. I make sure that the application knows it's going to print to a custom paper size. I hit print, and while the print dialog box is displayed, I double check to make sure everything still looks good, and it does. It all matches up.

Except the output doesn't. A good example is trying to print a #6 3/4 envelope. I used a full sheet of paper to see if anything was being printed and where. It appears that the bottom margin, or what would be the left margin of the envelope (it prints in landscape), is chopped off by a good 3 inches!

I can replicate the problem in Word 2010 and in Lytec 2011, a medical billing program.

I've searched the Internet for hours, and there seem to be some people who have custom paper size problems with some HP printers in Windows 7, but there is no consistency and no solution that I can find.

I'm at my wit's end!

Thanks
    I assume you went to HP to update the drivers for Win 7 64 Bit??? HP does offer drivers for Win 7. Be sure to download the correct bitness drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, yes. HP has 64 bit drivers available, but not native drivers. They are the universal printer drivers (UPD). I've tried both the PCL5 and PCL6 versions.

Thanks
    No other suggestions at this point then, sorry. if anything else pops into my mind I will certainly post back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychBiller View Post
    Oh, yes. HP has 64 bit drivers available, but not native drivers. They are the universal printer drivers (UPD). I've tried both the PCL5 and PCL6 versions.
    Unless HP has device specific drivers I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although I have no experience with the 2200D, considerable experience with other HP printers suggests that you might try to set up and save a specific printing shortcut for each setting/paper size (if you have not already done so). That has solved similar problems for me.

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychBiller View Post
    I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Now I'm trying to get my legacy hardware to work and generally speaking, things are going well. Except for the HP LaserJet 2200D printer--my workhorse.

Oh, it prints fine as long as I just want to print on letter size paper. I can even duplex. Works with the driver automatically chosen by Windows 7 when I plug in the USB port, as well as the HP PCL6 and PCL5 x64 universal drivers.

However, I print on a lot of custom paper sizes from as mundane as a #6 3/4 envelope to a bank deposit slip. None of the lexmark cartridges drivers will handle custom paper sizes correctly. I can define the custom paper size. I set everything up so that the default for Tray 1 is the custom paper size. I make sure that the application knows it's going to print to a custom paper size. I hit print, and while the print dialog box is displayed, I double check to make sure everything still looks good, and it does. It all matches up.

Except the output doesn't. A good example is trying to print a #6 3/4 envelope. I used a full sheet of paper to see if anything was being printed and where. It appears that the bottom margin, or what would be the left margin of the envelope (it prints in landscape), is chopped off by a good 3 inches!

I can replicate the problem in Word 2010 and in Lytec 2011, a medical billing program.

I've searched the Internet for hours, and there seem to be some people who have custom paper size problems with some HP printers in Windows 7, but there is no consistency and no solution that I can find.

I'm at my wit's end!
    Had the same issue. Ted is right you need to install Win 7 64 Bit.. The first thing I did was to reinstall the software. and update the drivers.. it worked fine. (If not, then there's a bigger problem.)