Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove non genuine copy of Windows7

Hello,

This is my first post since I became a subscribed paid member.My question is about a non genuine installation of Win7 that I have installed unwittingly. I would like to remove it and install instead WinXP if that is possible.But I have been reading that it is not an option to remove it once it is on the computer, and I can only now buy a new CD and reinstall a genuine copy. I would like to know if this is true or not so I know what to do next.

I am not that computer literate and cannot follow some of the complicated procedures I have been reading about, if that is the only way. I would love to go back to using XP but I don't know if it is in this computer or not. There is a sticker on the side of the tower that says Vista but I think that only refers to it being Vista ready. I don't think Vista was out yet so I think it must have been WinXP that came with it. I haven't used this computer for several years so don't remember. I just don't know how to find out if WinXP is in the system and it can somehow be pulled out again.

I've tried to install a copy of XP over this Windows7 but it didn't take.

I have been trying to find an answer to this problem for several months and so would appreciate anyone's help to find an answer.

My computer is a Lenovo desktop about 4 years old.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer,

Reid
    Last edited by SLReid; 2011-09-13 at 09:23.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    I'd probably say your best bet would be to backup all your relevant data, then install whatever legitimate operating system you have, choosing the option to format the disk where it will be installed. This will probably work better if you boot from your legitimate windows disk.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,

Do you mean to install the WinXP OS right over the Win7 that's on here now? I did do this once already but will try it again.

Thanks,
    Reid

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am suggesting that you boot from your XP installation disk and somewhere along the process choose to format the drive where you will install XP.

See if this helps: http://lifehacker.com/157578/geek-to...p-from-scratch

Thanks
    Another option would be to purchase a legitimate Win 7 key and change the key to the legitimate one you purchased and activate it. This presupposes your Win 7 installation is operating correctly, just can not be activated.

If you boot from you legitimate XP disk, you should be able to format the disk, then install XP. I believe this would be the less attractive option.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So now I can't find my copy of WinXP, but what I did find is 3 Recovery Discs that I got with the computer, instructions to restore my Lenovo computer to the original factory configuration. It mentions the Windows Vista os. It looks like a lengthy process and wonder if I should attempt to do this? It would save the price of a new Win7 cd and I don't know what the difference in the two is anyway. I guess the Win7is supposed to be better?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Reid

Thanks
    Reid, Please excuse my lateness, but welcome to the Lounge. New members are always a welcomed addition.

Most agree that Win 7 is the better of the 2. The changes started with Vista have been enhanced and perfected with Win 7. Win 7 is the most secure Windows to date. My opinion is that I would never revert to either Vista or XP now that I am so happy with Win 7. The only thing that may change my mind is Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 is the newest OS that has been released from Microsoft. It's faster, more stable and more pleasant to use than Vista.

The restore process works very well, usually, so you can go for it without fear. I would go with Vista instead of XP, but some members here will disagree.

Again, this is a personal opinion, but even if you decide to go with Windows 7, I would recommend a clean install. I simply wouldn't trust a pirated version (some of these have been reported to be infected by malware).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes W7 is a little bit better than Vista with Service pack 2 installed....a lot better than Vista with only Service pack 1 or no service pack installed. If you have a pretty solid system then it won't be a big deal but if its marginal then W7 will probably run significantly better; its much more like XP in resource usage.

So I would say as long as the system is beefy enough and you update to SP2 and beyond right away, Vista would be alright. Otherwise consider XP or W7.

Edit: Ha! You're right, I wouldn't choose Vista over XP if you held a large caliber gun to my ear hole...well actually I would agree but then as soon as I was safe...

Thanks
    I would go so far as say you should download the Win 7 iso file with SP1 included if you decide to go the Win 7 valid key route. This will give easy access to a valid Win 7 file as long as you obtain a valid key. Just burn the iso file to a DVD and you're ready to go.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SLReid View Post
    So now I can't find my copy of WinXP, but what I did find is 3 Recovery Discs that I got with the computer, instructions to restore my Lenovo computer to the original factory configuration. It mentions the Windows Vista os. It looks like a lengthy process and wonder if I should attempt to do this? It would save the price of a new Win7 cd and I don't know what the difference in the two is anyway. I guess the Win7is supposed to be better?

Any suggestions?
    SLReid,
    Hello... Wow what a Mess...My thoughts. You have to ask yourself a few questions.

1. What is your PC used for ? EX: Work, business, home use ..etc. I have a "multi-boot " PC ... XP-Pro, Vista Home , and Windows "7". As far as functional difference between the lot for home use is small... "7" is faster booting in general than XP or Vista... But i the day to day use E-Mail, Web surfing, Research etc... Zero difference(except for the "eye candy") ,as far as security .... Another question for another topic.... My suggestion.

2. Use your "Recovery Disks" and install whatever it is either XP or Vista.. for home use "7" is no better or worse than either ...Some are going to scream at that statement ...but i base it on actually having all three of them (OS's) and running them everyday.

3. If after having Vista or XP ...then decide if you want or need to upgrade ... The "Security issues" are greatly exaggerated, and can effectively dealt with.. with a little thought and advice.

4. Let the screaming begin Regards Fred

PS: If your not sure how to proceed with the disk set post back
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-13 at 18:50.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred, I would never scream at you, I respect your advice way too much for that (as well as having seen your excellent system which still amazes me). I just respectfully disagree on this topic. No one will ever convice me to go back to Win XP (which I used daily at home and work for almost 10 years) or Vista, which I believe was a stop gap effort by MS on the way to Win 7. This is just my opinion, but you know that's why they call these things Personal Computers. See that NO SCREAMING (Just so you don't feel bad Fred) Have a great evening Cheers, Ted

p.s. I have started reading some of the latest info coming from the MS Build Conference. This might just convince me to change from Win 7, to Win 8. Sorry for getting off topic, just had to be said.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    p.s. I have started reading some of the latest info coming from the MS Build Conference. This might just convince me to change from Win 7, to Win 8. Sorry for getting off topic, just had to be said.
    There is a lot to be liked there, Ted. I will move as soon as they get it out, especially on my Toshiba tablet.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm...I can't say I have all three OSes running anymore, used to have about 6 or 7 Vista systems but they went "POP" one by one until there was only one and that finally got SP2 and I though hmmm, not too bad...but too little too late for me..."POP!"
    So I only use XP and W7 24/365 and don't mind either, neither one is problematic and the only difference I ever notice is W7 seems just a tad smoother switching between tasks if a lot of them are processing concurrently, in other words, a bit better multitasking support, but conversely, XP Pro utilizes the processors a little more completely and gets a bit more work done over the same period of time. This extra little processor reserve W7 has for multitasking seem immutable, at least I haven't had any success getting it to pick up the pace on single task operations.
    As far as overall resource usage and general speed goes there should be no noticable difference in a 4 year old system between XP Pro and W7 (maybe a bit with Vista); I only notice it in increasing degrees when on single core systems going from about 1.8 GHz down to 800 MHz, where the difference is greatly pronounced (yes I have W7 running on an 801 MHz P3 from 1998 or 99 with all the eye candy!).
    So for the most part, I agree, I think. : )
    Maybe out of the box W7 is better for security, but I'm not a good source on that subject because I open all my W7 systems similar to XP and never have a bit of problem there with either and don't really understand how folks get infected for the most part; its so easy to sidestep such things with simple procedures.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am going to try to restore the original factory configuration but I'm confused about what I will actually end up with, because the instructions start out by saying it is a recovery disc package for Windows Vista, but my Desktop specs list Windows XP Professional as the OS system that it came built in with. This was Oct, 2008.I do not see Vista mentioned at all anywhere in the specifications. I also read somewhere that when you install Win7 it makes whatever OS was there before, obsolete and cannot be recovered. Even read Win7 can never be deleted once installed.Don't know if any of this is true.
    Also, another thing I wondered about is, if I can't get WinXP back this way,by factory recovery disks, I found many sites online that say that I can download WinXP free. Are they to be trusted, and will they really work? Does System Restore go back this far, to 2008?THANKS,Reid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast