5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How would you optimize this set up?

I have a Dell desktop running W7, with an original 80 GB hard drive; and later-added 500 GB drive.
    The newer drive is a SATA 3, and much faster than the original drive.

If you wanted to have a separate data partiton, and possibly a separate swap partition, how would you organize the drives (i.e., what would you place where?)

Thanks,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick
    Move OS and programs to new drive (1 partition or 2?? - opinions vary); move swap file to old (physically separate) drive. Where data goes depends on how much, but you could use old drive for backup/sync. etc.

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Zig. I guess nobody else has an opinion or suggestion.

Dick

Thanks
    Just got home Dick, sorry.

Set the new drive with approx. 75 GB partition for OS and apps (including swap file). Set remainder for storage of Images, back ups etc. Use old HD for data storage.

I would make an Image of your old HD (I believe you use Macrium Reflect) then restore the Image to the new partition (will become the C Drive). Install this HD as the primary (master), then set the old as the slave drive. Use a good partitioning app to delete the info on the old HD, then reinstall as slave and go into Disk Management and format and set to logical. This should work fairly easily.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I'm not sure it makes sense to have my images on the same drive as my OS - in case the drive dies.
    Am I not understanding something?
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the old 80GB drive is significantly slower you should not put your swap file there unless it is seldom used. Microsoft recommends the swap file be on the fastest drive.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Thanks Ted. I'm not sure it makes sense to have my images on the same drive as my OS - in case the drive dies.
    Am I not understanding something?
    Dick
    Many recommend 2 Images each time. Having the first on a separate partition on the HD is faster, then the second would be on an ext HD for example, in case the HD itself fails. This is what I would do given this situation. My senario is different in that I do not have the 2nd int HD so my 2nd partition is the Data drive and all my Images are on an ext HD.

Quite honestly, if my main setup were the desktop I would set things up a little different in that at the price of HD's now, I would get rid of the old HD and purchase a second faster HD. Then I would set up as follows:
    C Drive: OS and apps (including swap file) - 75 GB on HD #1
    D Drive: Data - Remainder of HD #1
    M (or any such higher drive number) - Images and backups. - HD #2

Since I do not know your situation, perhaps acquiring another new drive is not in the cards.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if you make a copy of the image after its made, its better to have both on seperate drives; it doesn't make much sense to have any on the same drive, partitioned or not. Actually having it available is much more important than convenience, I don't think Ted uses them as a rainy day last resort as most do.
    I also don't know why it was suggested to make the old drive a extended logical partition; just an ordinary primary partition is fine if you aren't going to make more than 4 partitions.
    As far as putting in a seperate swap file partition, dunno, kind of a toss up, probably still access faster being on the old drive, but if you have a goodly amount of RAM (2 Gigs or more), I wouldn't personally worry about it, let W7 manage it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell desktop running W7, with an original 80 GB hard drive; and later-added 500 GB drive.
    The newer drive is a SATA 3, and much faster than the original drive.

If you wanted to have a separate data partiton, and possibly a separate swap partition, how would you organize the drives (i.e., what would you place where?)
    Dick,

Hello...Sorry... late to the question ... Sometimes a post gets "Bumped" by another and gets "lost in the sauce". If it were me, i would Image my small HD (OS) and whatever data on the 500GB, and place it on an external HD or flash drive , DVD's etc. Then would partition the 500 GB HD (Gparted) and format the partition NTFS ( size of your choice ) Then would use the Macrium boot disk and place it on the 500GB partition as the default OS, disk 1 partition 1 .. not worry about "Swap" ... unless your doing "Space Shuttle Launch Vectors for NASA" Use the 80 GB for "Images", and the remainder of the 500GB for DATA.... Just Me Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-14 at 05:20.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I guess nobody else has an opinion or suggestion.
    Perhaps they haven't been online or on this site in the 6 hours from your original post.

People on this site give their advice willingly when they can. If you need quicker responses perhaps you should have some sort of support contract with Dell.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the helpful responses.
    Here's my resulting setup:

My_Setup.jpg

Should I be concerned that the older.backup disk shows as Disk 0; and the system disk as Disk 1.
    If their order is less than optimal, how would I change things so the newer, system disk became Disk 0?

Thanks,
    Dick

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Should I be concerned that the older.backup disk shows as Disk 0; and the system disk as Disk 1.
    If their order is less than optimal, how would I change things so the newer, system disk became Disk 0?
    Dick,
    Hello... For me C: should be on your first disk "0" "1st Partition" .I have had it both ways ...and doesn't seem to make any difference... However ...due to my compulsive problem it made me crazy just knowing that it was that way ( OS on 2nd disk ) As far as i know there is no easy way to swap things around ... When i did it i just Imaged everything and recovered things to where i wanted..(Have a more complex set up). Not knowing how your "MOBO" ( Motherboard) is set up you could try this... Shut down and remove your old HD connections... (From "MOBO") and plug your OS HD into that connector (Disk 0)... Re-boot and see what happens... If all is well and now your PC will see the OS and call it "Disk 0" ...If so the shut down again and install the old HD into the next available MOBO slot.Just a WAG.... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-14 at 12:48.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Do these disks still have Master and Slave plugs on the ends (Haven't opened or purchased a desktop HD in a while.) If so, wouldn't setting the new HD as Master, and the old HD as Slave accomplish this. Perhaps I'm several years out of touch here, if so sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Zig. I guess nobody else has an opinion or suggestion.

Dick
    Your specified options are not too terribly appealing imo.

Does your MB actually support a SATA 3.0 (6GB/s) controller?
    How old is the computer?
    What HDD controller does the MB support?
    Spend a few more bucks and at least get a decent SSD for use as a primary drive, an 80GB SSD should do nicely.
    Use the 500Gb HDD as a secodary drive for storage and dither it up as needed.
    (SATA 3.0 speeds may very well be SATA 2.0 on a motherboard that does not support a SATA 6 GB/s controller).
    The 80 GB drive might be usefull as a hidden recovery drive, otherwise I would dump it. It would be useless to me.
    Placing a pagefile on a slower drive is a waste and should not even be considered under any circumstances.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint; but I was asking how to optimize what I have, not about what I should have or buy.
    BTW, my pagefile is on the faster drive; and the 80GB drive is used for images.
    Best,
    Dick