Star Lounger
    Thanks

ORANGE Screen Of Death ??????????? i've never seen THIS before !!!!

okay, the past two weeks i've been having a few crashes and getting an orange-yellow screen of death instead of blue. the crashes are a concern, and this weird color is ... well, weird. does this color change, by itself, mean anything? has anyone seen this before ?

(i RMA's my Asus 5770 video card a couple of months ago, i wouldn't think it would go out twice, but i am interested in input.)

here's a summary of recent crashes from the Who Crashed log file ...

System Information (local)

computer name: MICHAEL-PC
    windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B60 Processor AMD586, level: 16
    3 logical processors, active mask: 7
    RAM: 8588025856 total
    VM: 2147352576, free: 1981276160

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 9/12/2011 10:13:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091211-42931-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050031, 0x6F8, 0xFFFFF800032A7119)
    Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 9/6/2011 10:29:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090611-41028-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88)
    Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF880033936C8, 0xFFFFF88003392F20, 0xFFFFF88001364C84)
    Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    description: NT File System Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated ... and i can ru n more analysis and post more data if you want it.

a million thanks,
    Michael

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would try to install BlueScreenViewer from Nirsoft. This might give a slightly better (understandable) explanation. You should also check the entire set of Nirsoft Utilities.

My BSOD seem to have been caused by heat related problems. These errors seem to be hardware related much of the time.

Not a clue what the O(range)SOD might signify. Perhaps some clues could be found here.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-13 at 15:59.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think you're right to consider your video card. That would be my first port of call too. One rather nasty possibility is that the vendor did not actually replace the card, but sent your old on back. Is there a way you could verify that is not the case?

Another thought occurs to me: you mention that you have suffered a few of these Orange screen crashes in the last few weeks. Only one has generated a memory dump: at 09/12/2011 @ 10:13:36 GMT......Could the others be fraudulent? I have seen malware spoof a BSOD screen previously and subsequently lock the machine up as if a genuine BSOD had occurred in an attempt to scare the owner into purchasing scam software to fix the problem. If the other crashes did not generate minidumps or memory dumps, might they have been a malware infection?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for your replies.
    i looked at Nirsoft BS View. it didn't seem to give me more information than the WhoCrashed screen - less, even. but maybe it's just me. anyway, now that i have it, what do i do with it? <S> (how do i get the information in recognizable form into a posting here?)

i don't suspect malware or a video card "replacement" that wasn't a replacement, but i'll run malwarebytes MBAM and some other things to make sure.

seems like you two don't see anything in the initial log posted that would lead anywhere.
    given the ntfs.sys and kernel problems, i ran SFC and it came up clean. wonder what's up ...

ty
    Michael
    Last edited by bigpygme; 2011-09-13 at 17:28.

Thanks
    Have you had a chance to check system voltages and temperatures during (before, after) these crashes? I would try HWMonitor to see if anything sticks out. I guess I'm not geek enough to deduce anything from the results you posted.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you get the same type of messages on the orange screen as you would on a blue? I lean Tinto's way in that its either something put there by a program, malicious or not or the video card would be first on the list to get swapped.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    From a Microsoft Wiki:
    Most stop errors, which are blue screens with white text, are known by their affectionate nickname bluescreens or Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The original stop errors were black, and red stop errors were visible in early builds of Windows Vista after a bootloader error. Stop errors are also referred to as "bug checks" in the Windows Software development kit and Driver development kit documentation.
    The color blue was chosen because there was a version of Windows NT for the DEC Alpha platform and there the console colors could not be changed in an easy way. For consistency reasons blue became the color for Stop errors on all platforms (alpha/i386/mips/ppc).
    By default, the display is white lettering on a blue (0x01, #0000AA) background, with information about current memory values and register values. For visually impaired users, Microsoft has added a utility that allows the user to change a setting in SYSTEM.INI that controls the colors that the BSOD code uses to any of the 16 EGA colors.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your replies. i was hoping the error messages would be deccipherable by someone who knows more than i, but i guess not, so far.

Ted - temps appear to be 48C for the CPU, and 33C for the mobo. voltages are stock and well within design parameters - i have an Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 mobo, and everything voltage wise appears to be normal. i have no info on before vs after crash comparisons ...

infinicore - yes, same type of messages on the Orange screen as on the blue, as seen in the minidump analysis.

Zig - interesting. i opened system.ini in notepad just for grins, but didn't really know what i was looking for (so i didn't find it ! <LOL> ). very small file, just a few lines of code, code that i don't know how to mess with.

ran SFC and it said there were no system file problems that needed fixin.
    ran MBAM, Panda anti-virus and superantispyware and apart from some cookies, they didn't find anything wrong.

thanks for looking at the post, all.

Michael
    Last edited by bigpygme; 2011-09-13 at 20:20.

Thanks
    Considering that Orange is the inverse of Blue, I suggest that it is a fluke related to either the BIOS or your video board/chip set. My concern would be with the OSOD/BSOD.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Considering that Orange is the inverse of Blue, I suggest that it is a fluke related to either the BIOS or your video board/chip set. My concern would be with the OSOD/BSOD.
    can you help me with what you mean by "my concern would be with the OSOD/BSOD" ??

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That it isn't the color that important or meaningfull; the message and, at this point (still?) unknown cause, is.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hi infinicore -
    i like the Lounge, but it doesn't look like i will be getting an answer at this site, with the information i'm able to provide.

got any suggestions about where else i might take this WhoCrashed data (or any other data i'm asked to get) ?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think you already have the best indication that you can get from the analysis of the minidump files:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091211-42931-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System

The last two lines are key. There can be no magic bullet to identify the issue.

Taking the minidump analysis and coupled with other indications (sfc /scannow is clean and no malware present), it's time to start swapping out hardware one item at a time. I would start with the graphics card or motherboard, if only because the screen is orange - which as RussB noted is the inverse of blue ( #FFCC00 versus #0033FF ). This seems too much of a co-incidence to me given you have had previous gfx issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Prank?

You may be the victim of a prank. See this blog article:http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...1/3379158.aspx