Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility Mode vs. WinXP Mode

(Sorry if this has been answered; I DID do a search but couldn't find an answer.)

I'm doing my own research here, more to learn than to tell the higher-ups how to do things.

I help support 600+ computers -- 98+% running WinXP Pro. We've been slow to transition to Win 7 Pro as many of the computers run apps that run poorly on Win 7. Some are apps we've created, while others are from vendors that wrote apps for us and with no upgrade (yet) to a version that will work fine under Win 7.

I've read a bit on Win XP Mode and RDS, but am curious whether another way might work. If I right-click on a program/shortcut in Win 7, go to Properties and then the Compatibility tab, I can (as the administrator) set it to run in compatibility mode with Win XP Pro w/SP3. If I click the button to make this change applicable for all users, could this be a solution? I ask because I see so little discussing this property, and the other methods have the downside of some administrative and hardware overhead.

Any comments?
    Mike W.

Thanks
    The only way to know is to try it on each problematic app. Compatibility mode will work for some but not all XP apps.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

I'd thought there was something not quite right about using this property since I just don't see it mentioned as an option. It seems to be WinXP Mode or RDS. Any comments out there?
    Mike W.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Well, XP mode will run a copy of XP SP3. All your "old" apps should work fine there. We use XP mode for a couple of old apps that just won't work any other way. I've never had much luck with compatibility mode other than running installers.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks.
    Mike W.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike68847 View Post
    (Sorry if this has been answered; I DID do a search but couldn't find an answer.)

I'm doing my own research here, more to learn than to tell the higher-ups how to do things.

I help support 600+ computers -- 98+% running WinXP Pro. We've been slow to transition to Win 7 Pro as many of the computers run apps that run poorly on Win 7. Some are apps we've created, while others are from vendors that wrote apps for us and with no upgrade (yet) to a version that will work fine under Win 7.

I've read a bit on Win XP Mode and RDS, but am curious whether another way might work. If I right-click on a program/shortcut in Win 7, go to Properties and then the Compatibility tab, I can (as the administrator) set it to run in compatibility mode with Win XP Pro w/SP3. If I click the button to make this change applicable for all users, could this be a solution? I ask because I see so little discussing this property, and the other methods have the downside of some administrative and hardware overhead.

Any comments?
    There is no "perfect" answer, however if you know all the details about your software there are a couple of things that will give you a very good idea.
    ** If your software uses any 16 bit code, in any of the exe files or dll files you will need XP Mode. (Win 7 64 bit)
    ** If the software claims to be Vista compliant, it likely run in Win 7 or at least compatibility mode.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great info, thanks.
    Mike W.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    ** If your software uses any 16 bit code, in any of the exe files or dll files you will need XP Mode. (Win 7 64 bit)

Are you saying that if it runs on an XP machine, it will run in Win7 XP mode? I am still keeping an XP desktop here with old programs running because I use them and don't have 64bit programs available/affordable. I know some have 16 bit code. {as if I really understood all that} but if I could run these programs in Win7 XP mode, I could clear out some real estate in my office.

Barbara

Thanks
    All I can say is that the 16 bit apps that I have tried do. YMMV
    Worst case is you waste an hour or so testing them.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Along the same lines as this subject...

In the "Using Windows 7's XP Mode" article, Fred Langa stated "Note: XP Mode won’t help keep older, Win7-incompatible hardware working."

I thought that was one of the advantages of XP Mode--being able to use older scanners, printers, et al, for which there were no Win7 drivers. If there were XP drivers but no Win7 drivers, I thought you could use the device in XP Mode. Did I misread that somewhere?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah it will for USB attached devices, but the device, whatever it is, has to be recognized as "something" by the host (Win7) in order for that USB device to be available for capture by the VM (XP). If you get by that one hurdle, no problemo, capture the device port, install the necessary software and it works.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, thanks. Yes, I was thinking of USB devices, and that's the way I understood it.

I guess it's Fred's vague, unqualified statement (as in unconditional, not that Fred's not qualified) that confused me.