New Lounger
    Thanks

"Opening ifr" popup message and only partial loading of web pages

I am having two Firefox problems that seem to be related, as they started at the same time. I am using a Comcast high speed cable connection and WinXP Pro SP3. About once a day when I open a complex web page with many sections, I get a cryptic message shown in the attachment. I have found references to the ifr file message, but no clear explanation of it. The only options are to open or save the file. At the same time, my Firefox 6.0.2 browser will only partially load some complex pages. I have a red "X" to the right of the URL address window showing that loading is incomplete. Eventually it times out and shows the circular "Reload current page" arrow, even though the loading is incomplete. If I stop the page loading by clicking on the red "X" and attempt a reload I usually get a full page load, after the first or second retry. This problem occurs most often with my Comcast custom homepage, although other complex web pages often fail to load fully as well.
    I have tried many troubleshooting steps including:
    1. Running full malware scans using Microsoft Security Essentials and Safety Scanner, Malwarebytes, and Spy Sweeper. Nothing is shown.
    2. Defeating DNS Prefetching in Firefox.
    3. Choosing "No Proxy" in Firefox settings.
    4. Windows IE loads pages properly.
    5. Defeating my HOSTS file makes no difference.
    6. Defeating all Add-ons does not help.
    7. Rebuilding Firefox preferences to default values did not help.
    8. Clearing all cookies and web history had no effect.
    Any support will be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DougL; 2011-09-14 at 12:05.

Thanks
    The server is pushing a binary download to you without specifying the real file type. Or it is sending HTML content with an erroneous header indicating it is binary. Unlike older versions of IE, Firefox does not "sniff" the beginning of the file an second-guess the content type header, so if developers have been lazy about their server configurations, then this kind of issue can arise.

My suspicion is that both of your issues are related to the advertising in the page. As an experiment, you could try using AdBlock or a similar add-on to see whether that clears up the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Opening ifr"

Many thanks for helping to narrow down this problem. I am using the HOSTS file from mvps.org to block most ads, without any favorable results. I've talked to Comcast, and they simply said it's not their problem because they never heard of such a file name. I should also add that this partial loading problem is new and occurs on other websites with many windows or sections on their home page.

When reloading the Comcast homepage multiple times, different sections of the page fail to load each time. It is not consistent.

The seemingly random "Opening ifr" message only pops up when trying to open my custom Comcast home page. Does this mean it's their problem and I should ask to have it escalated to a higher troubleshooting level?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL View Post
    I am using the HOSTS file from mvps.org to block most ads, without any favorable results.
    Does the hosts file redirect requests for ads to your own computer? Try just using a blank hosts file temporarily and see whether that changes the behavior.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the redirect is to my computer and I already tried switching to a blank HOSTS file - no difference. Still scratching my head. I really don't want to go back to slowpoke IE!

Thanks
    When I visit the mycomcast page I don't get the popup, but it might require being logged in. Hopefully it's temporary -- I see this message: "As of Sept. 27, My.Comcast.net will no longer be accessible, and visitors will be redirected to XFINITY.com." Maybe that will fix it?