2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 reinstall questions

Hi, First some background. The PC had a problem in Amsterdam and the person who fixed it installed win7 ultimate, I guess to solve the problem (not a legal copy) soon I started getting "activate" notices but decided to wait till I returned stateside where I had my original win7 Home Premium disc. I tried an update reinstall and found that Win could not update from ultimate to home prem. So I was forced to do a clean (Custom) install. Question 1. When you do a clean reinstall Windows creates an "old win" folder, I know this as I had to do a clean reinstall before, can I delete all the "old windows folders" as I have redownloaded the programs I wanted to keep? The "old win" folders have gigabytes of stuff that I hope to free up if I can delete it. Question 2 I had Win Office 2007 on the PC, also put on in Amsterdam ( I do have the activation code for this). This has disappeared, but when I check WinUpdates I get updates for Office 2007 and Office 2003 and it is then installed, but I can find nothing that opens Office, either 2007 or 2003. There are folders with Office, but none will open the program. I have downloaded PP and Word viewers so I can open those if someone sends me an email with those as attachments. If possible I would like to have Office again, just in case I need to use them, but see no site where I can download Office 2007 and reactivate it with the code that I have. I hope that this makes sense and that someone can answer these questions. Thank, Stan

Thanks
    Yes you can delete the windows.old folder once you have gotten everything out of it you want.

The Windows Office download site includes a phone support line. I would contact them to see if they can help. They even have a Live Chat link at the top of the page.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-14 at 16:21.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You can delete the "windows.old" folder when you have retrieved all that you need from it with no ill effect.

In order to install office again you will need a genuine Office 2007 disk. If you know of someone with a copy of the exact same version you have
    you might get by by making a copy their disk and using your product key to activate it...[maybe].
    You also might, and this is a very big maybe, find an .exe for your entire Office 2007 in one of the root folders in the "windows.old" folder.
    You would have to look very closely for it.

I would space sniff the "windows.old" folder for it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    1.) Double check the folders to make sure they don't contain any important data. Then you may delete them. Just to be on the safe side you may want to copy them to an external drive first.

2.) If you do not have any media for Office 2007 you could try contacting Microsoft. Otherwise, if you know someone who has an MSDN or Technet subscription they could download the correct SKU for you. Your key should work just fine with either of those.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all, I'll go over old win again and check and then delete it. It seems that I am out of luck with the office stuff, I know no one who fits the folks you guys told me to look for, thanks again...S