New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 Search does not work

I'm incredibly frustrated, and I apologize because I'm sure this is posted elsewhere; I just can't find it.

I have two nearly identical computers - a laptop and a desktop. Both running Win7 Professional (64-bit) and MS Office ProfPlus 2010. My Outlook is connected through my company's Exchange Server.

The laptop is fine.

But for the life of me, I cannot make Outlook's search feature return any results. For anything. Even when I input a value that I'm looking right at in my inbox.

I have been to dozens of sites and found multiple instances of the same problem across humanity. Some people have found solutions, some have not. I've tried everything I've read, and still nothing works.

The only thing I've noticed that might be a clue is that when I open up File > Options > Search and open Indexing Options, the pop up window shows Microsoft Outlook in the included locations. But when I click Modify, the resulting window does NOT show Outlook in the upper box (change existing locations).
    See picture below.

I've even tried going through the process on both computers at the same time, line by line, trying to find what's different between the two, but no luck.

Can anybody help me figure out how to get the search function to work in Outlook? My desktop is my main work computer, and I live and breathe by Outlook. This is really debilitating!

Many thanks.
    Outlook index options 1.JPG

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Check that you have the pst extension checked as one of the extensions to be indexed. You can do this by the clicking the Advanced button in the indexing options dialog and then choosing the File Types tab.

Outsearch.JPG

Another option is to try Xobni. I find Xobni to be very good for email messaging searches and I even paid for the advanced option. Xobni also makes it very easy to access all the messages from a given sender and a lot of additional stuff. The only downside is that archives search is only available on the paid version, but Xobni is still a very good add-on, even if you keep Windows search active for email.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Outlook data is in an .ost file, not a .pst file (still don't understand the difference, but that's how it is.) Is that perhaps the problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    .ost files can be indexed similarly, so you can try the same checking I suggested before.
    I have no experience with the scenario, though. Never connected to an exchange server.

Thanks
    I don't know why your Outlook isn't listed. This is what I see running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7. Does Windows search work for you in the file system?

Edit: I'm running in cached mode, if that makes a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-09-15 at 18:20. Reason: Added note.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is NOT what I see. I'm with you through Indexing Options; MSOutlook DOES appear in the "included locations." But when I click "Modify," there is no Microsoft Outlook (or archive sub-folders) at all in "indexed locations."