New Lounger
    Hagerstown, MD USA

AV scanning Apps

I run a few AV programs such as MSE, MBAM, and Avira. In the beginning, the number of files scanned was astronomical, like 1.7 million! After several months, when I run the same programs, the number of files scanned had dropped to 800,000 down to 100,000?
    The scanning runs much slower as well. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name OPS-PC
    System Manufacturer NVIDIA
    System Model NVDAACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, 1900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 5/28/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.2
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name Ops-PC\crgaush
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.93 GB
    Available Physical Memory 835 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 3.58 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Page File Space 1.70 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Well I see you have MSE,Avira both installed?Is that is the case,then their is your problem for the slow scanning.IF you do have both installed I can only suggest you Uninstall one or the other.Because they will conflict.There are many kinds of Archive files; CAB, ZIP, JAR, CHM, etc.

If I scan 3 CHM files I may get a total count of 30 files beacuse of all the HTML files in
    the 3 CHM files.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

The general thought is that you should not have 2 or more AV/AM apps running in real time (in the background) as chowur mentions. It's OK to have them sitting there for manual scans (I have 3 different AM scanners that I regularly run manual scans with, but do not have them running all the time) There are methods mentioned in other threads for excluding the AV scanners from checking each other to get them to work together, but this has not been necessary for me. Read through some others of these threads for further discussions on these subjects. They are very enlightening.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Hinsdale, IL, USA
    This doesn't get at the issue of scanned items being reduced. In the AV products listed, even with their deepest Complete File Scans, a file will not be scanned once the program determines that it has not been modified since the last scan. This allows the scanners to speed up with continued use. It's just a bit of Artificial Intelligence which most vendors have built into their scanners these days.

Slower scans could be a result of the possibility that even though the number of files reported is fewer, your computer may be accumulating more and more non-scanned or unscannable files. Often these are downloads or temporary files. And they all need to be looked at at least in passing during a file scanning operation. So if the used space on your hard drive increases, or if you have not been doing regular disk cleanups and off-loading new large downloaded files, these scans will take longer and longer to complete. At least in my experience. Again, this is not a sign of programs conflicting with each other. That happens mostly due to active shields, not scanners.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-09-21 at 15:04.
    -- Bob Primak --