New Lounger
    Thanks

Strange change in addition Access 2010

Hello,
    I have an Access 2010 MDB that keeps up with a simple attendance formats.
    We use a default of BLANK for data sheet, the number 0 for present, and number 1 for absent.
    In the query I just add the values in the fields and if = or > than 3 print on list.

( JulAM: +[Attendance 2011]![07/03A]+[Attendance 2011]![07/10A]+[Attendance 2011]![07/17A]+[Attendance 2011]![07/24A]+[Attendance 2011]![07/31A] )
    This is actual expression. as you see it is simple addition of selected fields.

All was working fine until July (Remember Jan - June was ok) when we noted that if the field was blank (the default) then no action could be taked. No totals.

Does anyone know if this is a programing change in Access and do we need to default to an actual number instead of null?
    Thanks

BTY- I know its cumbersom but the secretary likes it because it will sort the way she wants.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Just a shot in the dark here, but was July {a school (assumption) vacation month} the 1st month when maybe no one entered any data zeros or ones because of vacation? This would then not produce a value in the variable JulAM causing a test such as JulyAm => 3 to fail since JulyAM would be NULL. If so you could rewrite the text on JulAM to test for NULL first and if not NULL then test for =>3.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For all versions of Access, any addition that involves a Null in any of the values produces a Null result. So I think the RG is correct. The problem has always been there in the formula, but this is just the first time you have a Null.

The NZ function can be used to convert Null values to Zero.

JulAM: nz([Attendance 2011]![07/03A],0)+NZ([Attendance 2011]![07/10A],0)+nz([Attendance 2011]![07/17A],0)+nz([Attendance 2011]![07/24A],0)+nz([Attendance 2011]![07/31A],0) )
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Thank you gentlemen

I thank you so much for your advice. I see this should have been in the formula before. This is why I like the Windows Secrets Lounge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I'm sure I speak for John as well as myself in saying you're Welcome and that's why we are here.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs