Thanks

Need to zero out HD from a CD === no floppy

The XP cd isn't letting me delete my C:/partition for a fresh install of XP home ver, I used the samsung clearhd from a floppy on my last PC but this one doesn't have it

I need a utility iso for cd and some steps to use it.....asking a lot I know but !!

Thanks
    Can you boot to the XP disk's recovery console to get to a command promt and then effect a format?
    If not, Bootdisk.com should have what you need.

Thanks
    Boot to xp recovery console = no
    Looked thru bootdisk.com and there cd image talks about prepping the HD for win 98 ??

I found this and will give it a try:

Secure Wiping a Hard Disk with DBAN

Time Needed: several hours (varies with size and speed of drive)
    Software: Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN); available from http://www.dban.org/
    Media: blank CD (all versions) or floppy disk (version 1.0.7 and older versions)

1. Download the DBAN boot image ZIP file (we used version 1.0.7 and beta version 2.0 for this article); we downloaded the ISO image for CD burning, but a floppy disk builder is also available
    2. Extract the contents of the compressed file.
    3. Burn the ISO image file extracted in Step 2 to CD; see our article on how to do this, or use the built-in ISO CD image burning support in Windows 7. If you downloaded the floppy image builder, run the program to create a bootable floppy disk.
    4. Restart the computer using the CD or floppy disk created in Step 3.
    5. Press Enter to run DBAN in interactive mode.
    6. Use up and down arrow keys to highlight the drive to wipe.
    7. Press the space bar to select the drive.
    8. Press M to select the wiping method.
    9. Press F10 to begin the wipe process.
    [Leave No Trace: How to Completely Erase Your Hard Drives, SSDs and Thumb Drives]

10. At the end of the process, shut down the system. You can reuse or recycle the wiped hard disk.

Note: if DBAN is unable to recognize your SATA hard disks, configure your system BIOS to use IDE mode rather than AHCI mode.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well DBaN will certainly put a drive through its paces but it doesn't sound like you need the heavy artillery (DBaN is used more for security reasons if the drive is being recycled or thrown away). All I would do for a stubborn install is burn GParted or better yet Parted Magic iso which contains Gparted, or any other partitioning software that you can burn and boot with.
    Takes much longer to actually burn and boot than it does to write a new MBR partition table and format it NTFS, and the old install will appear as gone to an OS install disc as it would using DBaN.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2011-09-15)

Thanks
    That makes since to me, burned the iso........... Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    Well DBaN will certainly put a drive through its paces but it doesn't sound like you need the heavy artillery (DBaN is used more for security reasons if the drive is being recycled or thrown away). All I would do for a stubborn install is burn GParted or better yet Parted Magic iso which contains Gparted, or any other partitioning software that you can burn and boot with.
    Takes much longer to actually burn and boot than it does to write a new MBR partition table and format it NTFS, and the old install will appear as gone to an OS install disc as it would using DBaN.

Thanks
    For many years, I've been using a Boot Floppy (or CD) to set up new drives.
    It was originally formatted on Windows ME, a better DOS than previous versions.

I just used my Windows ME Utilities floppy disk to set up my new 500 gig SATA III hard drive.

To clear an old HD, I run FDISK to remove all the partitions and to create a new (fresh) one.
    Then I run the DOS Format command on that new partition, to test and verify every sector
    on the drive and block out any bad sectors. That pretty well overwrites any old data left
    on the drive.
    Then I can boot up with my Windows install CD and load Windows nn.

More partitions can quickly and easily be added later with one of the Partition Manager programs.

It's kind of an Old-School method, but it works flawlessly every time.

Cheers Mates!

I have my DOS Utilities CD in .ISO form on a download server for anyone who wants it.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-09-18 at 16:09.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Yes sir, any bootable DOS CD/DVD will do the job nicely.