Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Should I download System Update Readiness Tool?

A recent email from Microsoft highlighted the System Update Readiness Tool. It describes it's purpose as:

System Update Readiness Tool
    "This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software."

This tool is a huge 315 MB download. From what I read, the tool is to prevent certain errors in using Windows Update.

I've never had such errors in updates, so I assume it is not needed. The tool is not listed as critical. I found it odd that this a such a big download.

Anyone have ideas on it's usefulness?

Thanks
    I haven't used this but it is an official MS file. Here is the link to
    KB947821 . It is on Susan Bradley's INSTALL list.

Update: I just installed this one and be aware that it takes a while to process. Your system drive will be quite active even after it says Installation-Done the progress bar does not show done for a couple of minutes!
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-09-16 at 06:40.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmall1998 View Post
    A recent email from Microsoft highlighted the System Update Readiness Tool. It describes it's purpose as:

System Update Readiness Tool
    "This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software."

This tool is a huge 315 MB download. From what I read, the tool is to prevent certain errors in using Windows Update.

I've never had such errors in updates, so I assume it is not needed. The tool is not listed as critical. I found it odd that this a such a big download.

Anyone have ideas on it's usefulness?
    Microsoft NEVER offers patches via email. If you have received an email with a link to a patch it is MALWARE. If the patch is offered via Windows/Microsoft update it is OK and I recommend you install it.

Joe

Thanks
    I agree with Joe...
    But, it is offered on the Microsoft site also...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Confusion here!

I went to my office to download this tool and did a search on KB947821, and found http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=3132 which shows a 106 MB download. I did download and save that, but have not installed it anywhere yet.

When you click on the link in RG's message above, it takes you to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=20858 which does show a 315 MB download and
    mentions Win 7 64 bit specifically.

Now I don't know whether to install the one I have or go back another day and download the bigger one, as I am running 64bit Win7 systems.

"They" sure like to keep me confused.

Barbara

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you'll find that
    Windows6.1-KB947821-v14-x86.msu is for 32-bit
    Windows6.1-KB947821-v14-x64.msu is for 64-bit
    versions of Windows 7.

Thanks
    DRAT! and other appropriate four letter words. It does not SAY that anywhere on the page I D/L from. It just says Windows 7.

Back to the drawing board or rather the DSL hookup.

Thanks.

Barbara

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    DRAT! and other appropriate four letter words. It does not SAY that anywhere on the page I D/L from. It just says Windows 7.

Back to the drawing board or rather the DSL hookup.

Thanks.

Barbara
    Whenever you see a Microsoft patch to download X86 in the file name means 32-bit whereas X64 mean 64-bit. IA64 means 64-bit Itanium which is a special HP server processor you most likely don't care about.

Joe

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Duchess843 (2011-10-01),midnight (2011-09-17)

Thanks
    If there was a smilie somewhere for "slap my head", I'd use it! I should have caught that myself. Shows what happens when you are in a hurry and someone [better half] is waiting for you to finish.

Thanks Joe, as always.

Barbara

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft NEVER offers patches via email. If you have received an email with a link to a patch it is MALWARE. If the patch is offered via Windows/Microsoft update it is OK and I recommend you install it.
    I'm pretty sure the information came in one of Microsoft's approximate 45 email newsletters (that's how I became aware of it).

Thanks
    What Microsoft email newsletters?

Barbara

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    I'm pretty sure the information came in one of Microsoft's approximate 45 email newsletters (that's how I became aware of it).
    Microsoft NEVER supplies unsolicted links to patches in emails. The only time you get a link in an email is for a hotifx that you request in the Microsoft support site where you supply your email address.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/SubCntDefault.aspx<<

You'll need a hotmail or live or msn or ??? account to sign in and then you can go to a similiar type page to subscribe or I'm sure it can be located via search.

Thanks
    Getting back to the original post, there is no reason to download and run the System Update Readiness Tool unless one of two things has happened to you: Either you are upgrading to an new Service Pack or a new OS version, or you have been having trouble installing Windows Critical Security Patches from Microsoft Updates.

In the case of MS Updates issues, successful installs may be reoffered repeatedly, or installations may be failing a lot. First, visit Microsoft Updates manually through Internet Explorer, and run through the process via the browser. That is to fix your MS Updates mechanism on your computer. If there's still a problem, then you need to run the System Update Readiness Tool. And only then.

Do not download and run Microsoft tools just because some newsletter or email tells you to do so. Not even Windows Secrets. Know why you need to run these tools before you waste time and effort (and bandwidth) running tools which at best will tell you nothing new, and at worst can lead to confusion and inappropriate system-level Windows changes.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-09-22 at 15:09.
    -- Bob Primak --

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

ksmall1998 (2011-09-23),midnight (2011-09-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm lucky if I pay attention to one half of one percent of the things that come in the newsletters, the update readiness tool was certainly not one of them. It just needed to be pointed out that there are legitimate email sources. I'm not one who personally wishes to scare a novice user at every turn because I think they develop a devil take'em all attitude where no matter what they do, they're doomed to infection, where in reality, keep your wits about you and infection vectors practically light up in glowing neon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast