Thanks

5 Deal breaking flaws in Windows 8

It's only a preview but....
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...Extremetech%29

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    Looks like (to me) that this "Windows 8" thing is going to be like the "Vista transition" from XP to "7".... only worse. Will have to wait and see... I'm not "jumpin in" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The article makes some interesting points. But a good bit of it seems like ramblings just to get clicks. This is developer's preview which is NOT feature complete.

1) Lack of multi-tasking. Seems to be talking about in "Metro" mode. If multitasking is not allowed how then does "tile" updating get done? I'm willing to wait and see what happens to taks switching as the releases roll out.

2.) Can't close an app - In "Metro" mode apps are suspended and automatically closed later. IMO, the vast majority of users will never care about "freeing up memory".

3.) Goodbye Start menu - for years all people have done is complain about the start menu and yet everytime Microsoft changes something people clamor for "the classic start menu". Let's have some normal people use the software and see how they adapt.

4.) Very hard to reboot and shut down - if you are not going to do either very often then who cares? IMO, this is just looking for something to complain about.

5.) the beautiful Start menu search is dead - I do like the Windows 7 search but many people complain about it too. For power users it is not configured properly on initial installation. More than just a few people can't seem to get it to work for them. So, if the Windows 8 search works better I'll adjust to the paradigm shift.

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-09-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well, tech bloggers and pundits need to write something and with so many people writing about Windows 8, some are expected to try to find something unique to write about. A case in point is the multi-tasking "flaw". I thought multi-tasking concerned the ability to have multiple tasks running, but the "deal breaking" seems to be related with task switching, not multitasking. So it's really a misnomer...

The real surprise is the "deal breaking" nature of the flaws. A bit ridiculous, I am afraid, especially considering this is not even a beta!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Jerry,
    Looks like (to me) that this "Windows 8" thing is going to be like the "Vista transition" from XP to "7".... only worse. Will have to wait and see... I'm not "jumpin in" Regards Fred
    Sure there is a lot of eye-candy Fred .

Regards

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Windows 8 is another step along the evolutionary computer interface path. Touch and speech are going to be the primary interface mechanisms in the future. When that future will be the present is anyone's guess. To make these grand pronouncements on a pre-beta release is nuts.

Joe

Thanks
    The Metro Interface running on ARM Tablets has a lot of limitations. Not so much on Intel or AMD laptops and desktops. The Metro Interface is only one of at least two user interfaces which have shown up in Windows 8 official demos. The desktop is not dead. And I doubt that most of the alleged flaws in Metro will survive Beta testing. Windows 8 RTM is over a year away, so things can and will still change a lot between now and the actual release date in late 2012 or later. And we do not know which interfaces will be included in which versions on which hardware platforms. A lot to speculate about, but not much to actually hold in one's hands and play with right now.

One reason that tech pundits are getting so worked up over Metro is the same reason they were worked up over The Ribbon and Vista UACs, among other recently added MS features. These features are still evolving and can still be changed prior to the final Win8 RTM date. Pundits and users (especially businesses) want to try to steer MS in one direction or another, and this type of article seems more aimed at that goal than to scare business or home users away from the new OS version. It has happened before with Infoworld's Randall Kennedy and his many Vista "deal breakers", and it will continue to happen with each new OS version release until computers devolve into mere appliances for getting onto the Internet where our real apps and interfaces will one day live.

Let's just sit back, breathe easy, and wait to see where the pioneers get the arrows from.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-09-21 at 16:15.
    -- Bob Primak --