Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Problem setting up backup in Windows 7

Recently Fred Langa published an article in Windows Secrets outlining steps for setting up a Backup on a computer employing Windows 7. I liked this and I put the wheels in motion to setup such a system. I purchased a Western Digital Passport external hard drive and plugged it into my computer, not realizing that the hard drive contained WD Smartware, the software for WDís own backup solution. I could never get the two programs to tolerate each other and uninstalled the WD SmartWare software. However, the WD drive locks up (to protect data) and the schedule I set for backup does not start. Later, when I go to Windows Backup I am informed that the backup was unsuccessful. I can unlock the WD drive and manually perform a backup but this is not satisfactory.

I am thinking that the best thing for me is to wipe all data off the external HD and use Fredís article to set my computer up. I imagine this would mean reformatting the HD to NTFS. Am I correct in this? If so, could someone guide me through this process? I have not done this before.

Any guidance for solving problem will be appreciated.

Bob P

Thanks
    The Win 7 Backup and Restore, although it seems to work well for some, is less than full featured enough for many of us. There are many discussions in this forum on alternatives that work very well. Acronis True Image Home (my choice) and Macrium Reflect (free and paid options) are 2 of the most discussed. I would seriously check them out as well. Your thought to use Imaging is a VERY wise choice. I play with my system a lot and rely on Up To Date Images to save my bacon. When I say Up To Date, I create a new Image whenever I make a change in my system, i.e. add or remove apps, repartition or install updates, etc. I also use the old copy and paste for data, but since my data requirements are minimal compared to many this works fine for me. Both the Imaging apps I mentioned also work well for incremental backups of data.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    However, the WD drive locks up (to protect data) and the schedule I set for backup does not start. Later, when I go to Windows Backup I am informed that the backup was unsuccessful. I can unlock the WD drive and manually perform a backup but this is not satisfactory.

I am thinking that the best thing for me is to wipe all data off the external HD and use Fred’s article to set my computer up. I imagine this would mean reformatting the HD to NTFS. Am I correct in this? If so, could someone guide me through this process? I have not done this before.

With all due respects, Ted, how do i address this problem which I will have even if I download Macrium or Acronis?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjacket30268 View Post
    If so, could someone guide me through this process? I have not done this before.

how do i address this problem which I will have even if I download Macrium or Acronis?
    "BeeMan"

Hello.... Yes this is the way i would proceed... Acronis is "Pay For" and i would not bother with the new releases 2011 or 2012... I use 2010 V-7046 and it works ...and has many features that you do not need at this point. Macrium Reflect Free ...will do the job for you ...doing a full backup Image ...You could also use the Windows flavor "Backup and Restore" function.. Your choice. I would use Macrium Reflect Free ...for several reasons ...

1. Search and remove anything related to WD, Program files, etc.( Don't know if WD installs anything on C: ) Also...Check in "Disk Management" that WD is not on some small partition of it's own.. After removal of files (might have to use a program Unlocker, or take ownership) or \ partition deletion, if necessary. Do a complete Image Backup. Then "Mount" it (to look at it if using Macrium) Also do a "Verify". Make sure that you "Burn" the recovery disk and try booting from it. You may have to set your BIOS to boot from the CD ...But that's why your trying this...just don't pull the trigger. Store (the Image) someplace safe ...2nd internal HD or Ext HD or even Disks ....Just as long as it's off your C: This way you will be safe no matter what happens...

2. Download a Partition Manager .. Like ..Gparted Free (Burn the .iso) and boot from it before you try this ...get familiar with it.

3 Once your confident with the boot disks (Macrium and Gparted) ...Load the partition Manager and "Wipe the WD HD" and format it to NTFS....

4. Re-boot . Run "Disk Management" and assign a drive letter of choice to the WD HD

If all goes well .You now will have an "WD free Image" and a new HD to do what you want ...and some great Free program's Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-18 at 21:08.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, when I go to Computer, it lists Hard Disk Drives (2). One of these, of course is the C: Drive. The other is My Passport K: which is the WD External Hard Drive. It shows 229 GB free of 298 GB.

Then it shows Devices with Removable Storage (7). The first one is DVD RW Drive D:. The second one shows CD Drive E: WD Unlocker. The remaining drives are “Removable Disks” F thru J. I access the unlocker for unlocking the WD External Disk through this Drive E. It shows 0 bytes free of 24.3 MB.

As you mentioned, Fred, this appears to me to be a Partition. If you agree, should I delete this Drive E:? I have removed all WD files I could find from the C: drive by going to Uninstall. I have deleted all files I could from Drive K: This leaves 69 GB on this drive which I feel is one or more Disk Images. I have been unable to remove this.

Your comments please.

Since the free version does not have Incremental, Differential nor File and Folder backups I presume that the primary effect would be the potential loss of a few files in that instead of constantly backing up, the backup would be done on a schedule so that the exposure to loss of data would be from one scheduled backup to the next scheduled backup. Am I understanding this correctly?

What would you do next, download Macrium Reflect Free?

Bob P
    Last edited by yellowjacket30268; 2011-09-21 at 14:34.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, when I go to Computer, it lists Hard Disk Drives (2). One of these, of course is the C: Drive. The other is My Passport K: which is the WD External Hard Drive. It shows 229 GB free of 298 GB.

As you mentioned, Fred, this appears to me to be a Partition. If you agree, should I delete this Drive E:? I have removed all WD files I could find from the C: drive by going to Uninstall.
    Your comments please.
    Bob,
    Hello,
    There is a caveat to all this ...Is once you try to format the WD drive it may be "Toast" due to some internal protection.. Not having ever done this procedure with this type of "WD" drive ..all i can tell you is what i would do in your case.... Doing a "Full Image Backup" is always a good thing to do before trying something new. Make one ..and save it to DVD's if you can't find a flash drive, or someplace other than C: Remember if you toast C: and the image is there ...It's gone.

1. I would Download Gparted partition manager first and burn the .iso disk (post back if your not sure how)

2. Do a "full image backup" of your C: partition ... you can use Macrium or Windows ...Just make sure that you burn a recovery disk , so you can boot from it in the event something goes wrong.. (post back if your not sure how)

3.Once you have the partition manager in hand ( and the Image)...load it and re-boot..The reason is If the "E" partition has some kind of protection , it won't let you format it once it's up and running. (protects itself ) So... you boot into the Partition Manager before it can "load up"

4. One "Gparted" is up and running ..identify the "E" WD drive partition ...it most likely have been assigned a different letter than Windows gave it... use the "size" as a "Tell"

5. Click on it and follow the prompts delete , expand , format, etc. Try to do a format (NTFS) and see if it will let you, If you are successful you then should be able to format the entire WD hard Drive ... At this point It's not working for you ...so you don't have much to loose.

Post back if you have more questions ... maybe that someone who has tried this will post ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks

Continued Problems Backing Up in Windows 7

Fred, here is where I am with my problem. I downloaded Macrium Reflex Free. I brought out an 80 gb. external hard drive that I had, did a Quick Format to NTFS and, using Macrium, did a full image backup of my c: drive. I then attempted to burn a Recovery Disk. It started the process and immediately locked up. I had to do a ctrl-alt-delete and close Macrium. Thinking I might have a corrupted Macrium download, I deleted the program and downloaded it again. Once more I attempted to burn a Recovery Disk. The results were the same.

I then did a Quick Format of my new 300 Gb WD External Disk. Next, I did a full image backup of my c: drive using Macrium. Once more I attempted to burn a Recovery Disk using Macrium with the same results as before. At that point I had a full image backup on each of these external hard drives but no Recovery Disk. Also, I still had the lock/unlock partition on the HD.

Then I decided to try Windows Backup and Recovery to get a Recovery Disk. It apparently worked because at the end I was told that it was successful.

On the Lock/Unlock E: partition I tried to Format and could not do it.

As you suggested, I downloaded Gparted and burned a disk. I tried booting from this by setting the bios to boot from the CD/DVD drive but it did not work. After further research on the Internet I found that I needed an ISO burner to burn one. I downloaded FreeISOBurner.exe and used it to burn another CD. I tried booting from this and again it did not work. In both cases I wound up with a full boot. Apparently I am doing something wrong but just what? Iím almost to the point of throwing up my hands.
    Any suggestions?

Bob P

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I then attempted to burn a Recovery Disk. It started the process and immediately locked up. I had to do a ctrl-alt-delete and close Macrium. Once more I attempted to burn a Recovery Disk. The results were the same.

I’m almost to the point of throwing up my hands.
    Any suggestions?
    Hi Bob,
    Wow sounds like you've got your hands full...( i have "thrown up my hands also ...many times..Just need to step back a while) Lets take this one step at a time..

1. Recovery Disk... You have a choice which to "burn" You should use the "Linux" option

2. Gparted... Yes you need to burn the .iso try this free program ImageBurn Free I have used this program with success many times .

3. As far as setting up up your "BIOS".. You set the boot order so it will boot from CD ROM Group first... some BIOS even have a setting for "floppies" Make sure in disk management that the CD\ DVD RW has a drive letter associated with it and you can see it using windows explorer .

Post back with any questions Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-26 at 19:34.
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, let me restate my objective and give you a status report. (Assuming you have not lost interest in my project) My objective has been to setup a backup system employing an External Hard Drive that I could schedule to automatically make a disk image of my c: drive on a weekly basis. Low maintenance if you will. My WD external hard drive has to be manually unlocked so until I can remove this feature it cannot automatically make a disk image.

As you suggested, I downloaded Gparted partition manager. I downloaded IMGBurn Free (which I like) and burned Gparted to a CD. I finally figured out how to make my BIOS boot from CD. I successfully booted to Gparted. It did not show any drive but the C: drive. It showed the three partitions below.

1 Dev/SDA 1 PQService 13GB 3.95GB free Flag Diag.

1 Dev/SDA2 System Reserved 100mb 66.42mb free Flag Boot

1 Dev/SDA3 E machines 685Gb 628.74Gb free

So the hope of being able to Format Drive E (The Unlocker) did not materialize.

Any suggestions on how to get Gparted to recognize “E” partition?

Also, even though Macrium Reflect Free supposedly allows for scheduling disk imaging, I have been unable to figure out how to schedule with it. The documentation for Macrium seems to show only screen prints of the regular version. It does a good job of manually doing a disk. However, I had to go to windows to burn a recovery disk. I guess I need to go ahead and try to boot from the recovery disk to prove that it is good.

If you haven't lost interest, I would appreciate any comments you care to make.

Bob

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As you suggested, I downloaded Gparted partition manager. I downloaded IMGBurn Free (which I like) and burned Gparted to a CD. I finally figured out how to make my BIOS boot from CD. I successfully booted to Gparted. It did not show any drive but the C: drive. It showed the three partitions below.

Also, even though Macrium Reflect Free supposedly allows for scheduling disk imaging, I have been unable to figure out how to schedule with it.

If you haven't lost interest, I would appreciate any comments you care to make.
    Bob,
    Hello... I have been a technician of one type or another for my whole 30+ year career, and enjoy trying to help people with problems... PC wise. I can relate to how frustrating it is getting something figured out .. (at your prompting, still trying to get a "BartPE" Disk built..so far no go) Now on to the task at hand...Lets solve the most important one first ( getting a backup to run on schedule)

I posted some screen shots to help you along with Macrium ... basically
    1. Select which HD \ partition you want to Image...
    2. Click through the first screens ..you can change the backup name and location,etc.
    3. After you click "Finish" you have the option to save this backup as "Task" XML ...do so
    4. After running the image and "verifying it" you can then "mount" it just to have a look..
    5. If all is OK, then you go and select "XML Definition Files".... The "Scheduled Backups".... Follow Prompts

As to the next problem Post back when you have worked out the Imaging thing..

PS: When your running "Gparted" you need to (if you didn't already) click on the "Drop Down Arrow" (upper right corner)..to see all the drives present. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-29 at 13:53.
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred. I'm back!

I opened Macrium Reflect Free and did an image of my C: drive again. I then verified the image, mounted it and checked it out. Everything appeared good. I then scheduled a backup once a week. I did not find a way to maintain the backups at so many, say five backups, by deleting the oldest one each time. Maybe it would be necessary to do this manually although backups would not be automatic. Or perhaps Macrium Reflex Free will automatically delete the oldest one once the capacity of the disk is reached.

I put the recovery disk I had made using Windows into the CD/DVD drive and booted with this. Everything appeared normal until I got down to finding the drive which contained the image. I could not find it because it was locked. Every time the computer goes into sleep mode or the computer is shut down the WD External drive locks and I have to unlock it before anything can be done with it. However, when booting from the rescue disk I cannot get to it to turn it on. Oh, such frustration!!! Perhaps this problem could be handled by tweeking the Registry but I really don't have the expertise for this.

Any other ideas?

Bob
    Last edited by yellowjacket30268; 2011-09-30 at 10:49.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I put the recovery disk I had made using Windows into the CD/DVD drive and booted with this. Everything appeared normal until I got down to finding the drive which contained the image.
    Hi Bob,
    Yes your making progress !.... You need to burn the Macrium Reflect (Linux) recovery disk ...you can't recover an Image made by Windows ...using Macrium ...Also you now see the reason that i suggested running Gparted from a boot disk ...

1. Burn ( macrium Reflect) and check (Try booting from it) the Linux version recovery disk... If this is OK ...step two

2. Run Gparted and look for the WD drive "Tick" the drop down upper right corner of the Gparted screen to show and select what drive that you want to see ... will only display "default" C: initially

Post back with your results regards Fred...."gotta" go and do some real work...ugh!
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like it is always two steps forward and one step backwards--or is it vice versa? :-(

I finally was able to burn a Linux Version Rescue Disk using Macrium. In order to do so I had to set it to Create ISO Image File and then burn the disk using IMGBurn Free. I then booted from this CD. Everything appeared normal until I got down to finding the drive which contained the image. I could not find it because it was locked. Every time the computer goes into sleep mode or the computer is shut down the WD External drive locks and I have to unlock it before anything can be done with it. However, when booting from the rescue disk I cannot get to it to turn it on. Oh, such frustration!!! I tried doing what you said in 2 above but clicking the drop down arrow did not show anything. The WD disk is locked so GParted does not see it. (At least that is my theory.)

Bob
    Last edited by yellowjacket30268; 2011-09-30 at 22:10.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like it is always two steps forward and one step backwards

Bob,
    Indeed ! OK first i want to apologize for not being clear...Let me restate

1. You do not need to burn the Macrium recovery disk using ImageBurn... You just put a CD in your tray and point Macrium to it and let it "do it's thing"..

2. As of now you do not want to place your Image on the WD drive ....Cause it's "Locked up" when you re-boot....so will be of no value ...if and when you need it...

3. Make an Image and save it some place off your C: OS. ( and not to the WD)

4. Boot from the Macrium disk.... and make sure that Macrium loads up and you can see the Image ... ( wherever you put it)

5. That done, at least you now have a "Rescue plan" in the event that something goes wrong.

Now on to the next problem... Unlock the WD Hard drive .... Open Windows "Disk Manager" and find the WD drive.

Post back as to what you see ( or do a Screen Shot.... Better) EX : what format is the WD? Size, Partitions, etc.

don't feel bad .. as many will learn and benefit from reading this thread... (including myself) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, re your comment in #1, I tried a number of times to burn a rescue disk in Macrium by simply pointing it to my CD/DVD drive. In each case it would start to burn and immediately lock up. But I do have a good Macrium Rescue Disk by creating an ISO file and then burning with IMGBurn.

I had saved a Macrium disk image to an 80GB external HD earlier this week. I connected this drive to my computer and then booted using the Macrium Rescue Disk. I located the HD with its images in the window and it appeared that it would work OK. I was a little fearful about proceeding further for fear of going too far. I have every reason to think that I’m covered in case something happens.

Here is Screen Shot of Disk Manager showing the Drive E Unlocker.

Drive L is the 80Gb External disk that I have a disk image on.

Bob
    Last edited by yellowjacket30268; 2011-10-01 at 11:01.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast