3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is this a W7 B/U problem or Ext. HD Problem or laptop prob--strange!

Iím not sure if I have a failing external hard drive or???
    I have a Fantum 2TB external hard drive. Iíve had it for a few years and use it just for backups. It is partitioned into drives F,G,H. I recently got a new computer with W7 and did a Windows 7 system backup a few months ago on drive H.
    I figured a new backup is overdue so I ran the W7 backup again. But, each time, at about 14% completed (but not at the exact same spot) the computer would suddenly not recognize the USB device. The first time it happened I was actually saving another file to the hard drive H: at the same time it was backing things up. I guess I shouldnít do that?

Anyway, this has happened 3 times (I tried different USB ports, but that didnít matter) in a row. Each time, the laptop suddenly didnít recognize the external hard drive. (It would say something like unknown USB Device).

After the 3 failed B/U attempts on H: drive, I decided to do a complete system image backup, and this time Iím doing it on drive G and it ran perfectly. (It only took 35 minutes which surprised me -- how long should it take -- I have about 40 gb used on my laptopís hard drive).

So, Iím not sure what to make of all this. Does it sound like my external HD is going bad? If so, might it just be on the H: partition (I can get by totally just using the F and G partitions.) Or could it be a problem with my new laptop (somehow I doubt it, but Iím not sure).

Iím not sure what to try next, if anything.

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you sure there is enough space in the H: partition to hold the backup?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, check available space; all partitions are formatted NTFS?
    If it should go on that partition, you could run a disk check to see if there are any bad sectors its getting hung up on and reallocate those.
    Probably time to have a second backup in any case, it might just be some bad sectors or a partition table with some errors in it but it could also be an early warning that the whole drive is failing. If you have another backup you don't have to worry about it, leave it in place and run some drive diagnostic tools on it and better determine if its going bad or not.
    A quick little tool to use is CrystalDiskInfo, it does a basic quick SMART data analysis and assigns a blue, yellow or red light for the drive based on a couple dozen attribute readings. If you get a caution or red light especially, time to replace. If its blue its probably in pretty good shape yet.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. There was plenty of space on the partition. My laptop has less than 38 gb written on it.

I'm still wondering: does the fact that I was saving another file on that same ext. HD partition while at the same time backing up my laptop enter into this?

I will look into checking the integrity of the drive via CrystalDisk.

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks, I was jst reading reviews of CrystalDisk and a major complaint is that it installs spyware (Open Candy). So, I'm seeking suggestions regarding other software that would do the same job, preferably free.

Mel

Thanks
    Macrium Reflect has been discussed many times in these forums.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    update: I tested the H: partition on the drive with the Seagate Sea Tools. It passed the quick scans. So I still have no clue what's going on. Hopefully the problem is resolved.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Normal procedure is if you get a pass on quick scan with Seagate tool, do a deep scan. If a quick scan finds a problem it just saves time because then you don't have to do the deep scan.
    Also if you were worried about a few ads, if you were on their download page, the portable version was right below that (zip file). Portable versions don't install anything, load and run just in memory.
    Writing to the same disk at the same time will slow it down but not cause one or the other process to fail. Reading won't either but it can cause one or the other process or both to become extremely slow. Something such as a simultaneous copy procedure to seperate locations.