New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Media Player

Subject: Windows media player

I have been unable to automatically use Windows media player for a few months. It just stopped working and I don't know why.
    It used to work fine but now I have to run as admin and even after using windows repair it only lasts until I log off the lap top.
    I use a Dell Laptop run windows 7 home edition. I have no disc to use to repair as windows was already installed.
    I would be grateful for any advice on how to fix this.

Thanks
    Have you tried running sfc /scannow?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,
    I did try it and it found some corrupt files but it didn't correct the media player fault. When I try to open it, it tries to open but then I get a cannot open message.
    I am thinking of upgrading to Ultimate which I bought for my last lap top which had Vista. If I do an upgrade hopefully all my files will stay put.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should try to figure out the issue before upgrading.

Have you checked the Event Logs to see if there is additonal information there?

Do you have SP1 installed?

You can download Windows 7 with SP1 integrated using the links at Download Windows 7 with SP1 integrated. You'll need to burn the downloaded image to a DVD. Then you can try a repair install.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You should try to figure out the issue before upgrading.

Have you checked the Event Logs to see if there is additonal information there?

Do you have SP1 installed?

You can download Windows 7 with SP1 integrated using the links at Download Windows 7 with SP1 integrated. You'll need to burn the downloaded image to a DVD. Then you can try a repair install.

Joe
    Joe I have tried for months to figure out why it stopped working. I SP1 installed. I have scoured Microsoft for answers. My guess is an update from windows.
    What I cant understand is why I am unable to find the programme to uninstal and then re-instal it.

I have no windows home disc and as I have a lot of programmes I wish to keep without the tiresome reinstalling etc. I feel inclined to upgrade. I'm almost 73 and whilst fairly good on my PC I am wary of too much techie stuff.
    Cheers
    Shirley

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Windows Media Player is a feature of the OS. You can turn it off by going to Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows features on or off. Expand "Media Features" and then clear the checkbox for Media Player. "OK" your way out and Media Player will be unavailable. To make Media Player available again return to the same place and make sure the checkbox is NOT clear.

If by "automatically" do you mean that WMP won't start when a file is double clicked you need to go to Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs. Then check "Change Autoplay Settings" and "Set Default Programs". Under "Set Default Programs" click on WMP to see if it is the default media player. You can also check "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" if you are having problems with one or more file types while others work OK.

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Shirley, my limited experience with WMP was similar to toothache. I prefer to use Winamp for audio only & Media Player Classic Home Cinema for everything else.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JoeP517 that's what I was looking for!