Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 7 64 Bit Disk Image recovery

Greetings -

I have the 64 bit home premium version of win 7. I just finished creating a successful disk image and checked up on it to see if I could accomplish a restore. When I clicked on recover system settings-advanced recovery methods, I received this message: could not find required recovery files....

I have accomplished this in the past, but not recently. I haven't had to do so since SP 1 was installed. I found some advice online to check some registry settings; mine were in agreement with the recommendation. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Casey H

Thanks
    Did you create the required boot media? The first time and one time only you have to create a recovery boot media. Slip the Boot media in and boot to it, then point toward your stored Image and restore. I should also have asked where you store your Images (mine are on my ext HD).

I have found that I like the extra featuress provided by the 3rd party apps. You can read many threads in the Security and Backups forum on this subject.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have made the recovery boot media, a couple of them, but I was unable to create a new one following the installation of SP1 (can't remember the failure message). I have been successfully storing images on a 2nd hard drive inside my computer. I have restored images in the past, but again, none since the installation of SP 1. I have also recently run SFC /scannnow with no bad files found.

Casey

Thanks
    I have very successfully created and restored from Images post SP1, but I use Acronis True Image Home. I also know of others using Macrium Reflect post Sp1. I wonder if this is a glitch with Win 7 Backup and Restore post SP1. I would definitely try one of the others. Macrium has a free edition and Acronis has a free trial period.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Supporting what Ted said, I have used Macrium Reflect post SP1 multiple times to restore my system.
    I've had to do this twice in the past month, for example, as a result of "playing around" with my system.

Dick

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. Do both Acronis & Macrium have the ability to boot, then restore from a CD for those cases where Windows is so hosed that it won't even start? I'd like to assume that it can, otherwise, what would be the point. I formerly ran a DOS version of Norton GHOST then Bootit NG on my XP machine. NG now seems a bit archaic. Do "Loungers" have a preference between Acronis & Macrium?

Thanks
    NO, but this lounger certainly has a preference for Ghost 11.5, booted up with a DOS Boot disk.
    It will back up AND restore any version of Windows.

I use it all the time.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect & Acronis

Have used both backup programs but prefer Acronis True Image Home 2011. Macrium has a free version which has never failed me.
    Give both a try and see what suits you. Several of my friends like Macrium because it is simple to use.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey H View Post
    Thanks for the help. Do both Acronis & Macrium have the ability to boot, then restore from a CD for those cases where Windows is so hosed that it won't even start? I'd like to assume that it can, otherwise, what would be the point. I formerly ran a DOS version of Norton GHOST then Bootit NG on my XP machine. NG now seems a bit archaic. Do "Loungers" have a preference between Acronis & Macrium?
    Yes, with both of these apps you create a bootable CD that you insert into your optical drive and boot to. You then point to the Image (mine are stored on an ext HD) and restore. Takes about 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I've used BootIt NG for many years, and upgraded to BootIt Bare Metal a couple of months ago. I don't care about archaic; all I want is reliability. BootIt is solid, and I'm quite familiar with the interface by now.

I have it installed on my hard drive, and also on a bootable CD.

BootIt will backup and restore any file system it can read, and there aren't many file systems it can't read.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-09-18 at 16:56.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

mart44
    This message?

It means is that you haven't set any files to be backed up before the image overwrites the system. For instance your photo or music folders that have had files added to to them since the image was made. If these weren't backed up before using the image they would be lost by being overwritten. If they are backed up beforehand, they can be put back in place once the re-imaging process is done.

I personally don't use Windows file backup. It isn't necessary if you always remember to back up such files onto another disk before using the image, or if you don't store newly created files on the C: drive anyway. I always do remember to back up files to another drive and so use the 'Skip' button when presented with this stage of the procedure. The next Window, presents this massage:

This would be the case with any imaging program though. Got to back up files made since creating the image because they aren't written into it.

After the above message appears, you can chose to 'Restart' and then the recovery procedure then begins.