Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Any thoughts on Imaging Software? Norton Ghost/Others? Acronis 2012 a dud.

I am still on the hunt for imaging software and posted this to Norton Forum:
    Norton Ghost
    09-17-2011 07:14 AM
    I am running the following backup programs:
    Mozy Pro
    Maxtor external drive
    Norton 360 2 files only backup .psst and archive .psst
    Can I also run Ghost 15.0?
    I just went through the ringer trying to install Acronis True Image Home 2012 and On Line Backup. After 9 + hours of bad downloads and a frozen mouse as the result of chat session gone ugly, followed by a RAID verify and repair of 10 hours, I gave up. The online back up would never start and the download never finished. The download of 2012 would stall out at the very end of download and I would need Acronis clean up tool to fix.

Acronis told me finally that multiple backup programs are not compatible. To little to late.
    I like the idea of an image but so far this quest has been a bust.
    My thoughts are you can never have enough backup options but seems like imaging and other programs don't work together.

End Norton Post

I have an ftp site and I understand from reading Ghost articles that I can send an image of my PC to ftp site.

I also understand that Ghost will restore individual files and folders.

I would also send an image to my external hard drive.

Any thoughts on Norton Ghost and the conflicts among backup software?

Recommendations on imaging software?

Thanks for your help and precious time.

Bob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Hi,

I think the idea of FTPing or online backing up, with images in the tens of GBs is not a very good one. At the very least, this will mean endless hours of uploading, unless you have a very good upload speed. I would definitely use an external drive as the immediate, main backup and then check image size and the possibility of using online storage for those images.

I never used more than one backup software, currently on Acronis 2010, since 2011 was never reliable to me and it's most likely that 2012 will have it's share of problems.
    Many members of this forum vouch for Macrium Reflect free. Feature for feature, the best free option seems to be Easeus ToDo Backup, which some other members here recommend, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cyclingcpa (2011-09-20)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingcpa View Post
    I am still on the hunt for imaging software

Recommendations on imaging software?

Bob,
    Hello.... I use Acronis 2010 V-7046 ( can still be had from internet search) and Macrium Reflect Free... On XP-Pro and Vista Home Premium, also Win "7" 64 \32 with no conflicts with any of these OS's at the same time. I only do full Image backups and non-scheduled at that ... found that scheduling doesn't work when your always trying new software... I do an "Image " before i try anything... Macrium Reflect Free does not do file level backups ,unless you purchase there "upgrade" Acronis can but don't find it useful... Full Imaging for me is the way to go... Acronis 2011 and 2012...have too many problems ...seems Acronis has lost their way... Hope this is of some help Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

cyclingcpa (2011-09-20)

Thanks
    I have been using Acronis True Image Home 2010 on wife's PC and 2011 on my PC since I started Imaging. Both work very well for me. I have used my Images to restore my PC so often I have lost count. I believe any of the 3rd party apps work as well or better than the Win 7 alternative, and all seem to have more features. In the case of Macrium Reflect, the free version has more features than Win 7, and the paid version will rival Acronis in it's feature set.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

cyclingcpa (2011-09-20)

Thanks
    As a long time Acronis user, as I have mentioned in other posts here, that any program upgrades they offer are not worth getting because with each new version it seems you inherit the problems from the prior version and a slew of new ones...It seems they are more interested in selling then fixing...

I also found it's best to stay away from all the little extras they put in each version like, on-line backup, Try and Decide, etc which seem to create more problems and never seem to work as advertised.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Banyarola For This Useful Post:

cyclingcpa (2011-09-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Acronic 2012 disaster and Refund attempt worse...

Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry to not respond immediately. I have had a big project that is now complete.

RE Acronis
    A lesson I learned from this Acronis disaster -Visit the Lounge first to cut through Acronis hype.

Acronis 2012 upgrade was a disaster and getting a refund is even more work. I offer this info to help others decide if Acronis is worth the trouble. My view - not worth the trouble. As Banyarola states above:

"As a long time Acronis user, as I have mentioned in other posts here, that any program upgrades they offer are not worth getting because with each new version it seems you inherit the problems from the prior version and a slew of new ones...It seems they are more interested in selling then fixing..."

Amen. Sorry I did not take the Lounge trip sooner. "Acronis" and "fixing" cannot be uttered in the same breath.

Below is my back and forth with Acronis re refund. Not a heart warming experience.
    From Acronis re refund:
    From: Acronis Customer Central [mailto:corporate-support@acronis.eu]
    Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:53 AM
    To: bob@johnsoncpa.com
    Subject: RE: Refund request: [ ref:00D3Zcb.5005DT03a:ref ]

Robert,

You have bought Acronis True Image 2011 and then got a free upgrade to Acronis True Image Home 2012.

You have issues with installing Acronis True Image Home 2012 and want to refund it.

It is not possible, because you did not buy this product.

You bought Acronis True Image Home 2011 and you do not have any issues with it. so you can downgrade to it and use it.

The refund for a worked product Acronis True Image Home 2011 can nor be proceeded, especially whe it was bought more than a month ago 2011-08-18. The refund fro Home products is possible only within 30 days.

So if you are not satisfied with Acronis True Image Home 2012, you have a choice to use Acronis True Image Home 2011.

Best Regards,

Olga Blazhko | International Support Professional Acronis Customer Central www.acronis.com/support

Acronis logic above is mind numbing.

My respone:

Olga:

Acronis products simply did not work, after my best efforts.

You are using the upgrade as an excuse not to refund the cost of the product. I would not have had the upgrade if I did not buy the 2011 in the first place.

If Acronis does not have the confidence in their upgrade policy then it is not my fault and I should not have been offered the upgrade.

As far as the 30 day requirement is concerned that is just another excuse not to refund my purchase price. I had at least 5 chats with tech support to get all products to function properly and the delay is Acronis not mine.

I would be pleased to delete all serial numbers and my Acronis account in exchange for the refund. I have no intention of using Acronis.

Despite the above Acronis will not spoil my day.

I have purchased Norton Ghost and have received better advice on Norton forum than in all the chats with Acronis. I will report back on my Ghost progress.

Thanks again for the comments.

I appreciate your precious time.

PS I have not figured out how to receive email notices on replies to my posts. Can someone help?

Thanks.

Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I have figured out email notice notification:
    Default Thread Subscription Mode: Do not subscribe Through my control panel only Instantly, using email Daily, using email Weekly, using email When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Thanks
    Well, they have a point about the upgrade being free...

You should stick with 2011 and any problems you have with it you can take up on their forum..
    You'll get more help there then from customer support...

mart44
    I used Acronis True Image 10 on my last computer that ran on XP but it wasn't compatible with the new computer running on Windows 7 64-bit. So I tried Macrium free and it was OK but then discovered that Windows 7 included its own disk imaging function. I tried it, thought it OK for my purposes and have been using it ever since. It may not be very highly thought of by some but it works reliably and suits my needs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
    I used Acronis True Image 10 on my last computer that ran on XP but it wasn't compatible with the new computer running on Windows 7 64-bit. So I tried Macrium free and it was OK but then discovered that Windows 7 included its own disk imaging function. I tried it, thought it OK for my purposes and have been using it ever since. It may not be very highly thought of by some but it works reliably and suits my needs.
    You mean Acronis True Image 2010 isn't compatible with Windows 7 64 bit? It is totally compatible, I am using it in this PC from where I am writing this and I have imaged and restored images quite a few times with total success.

Thanks
    I believe mart44 is referring to an earlier version of Acronis, version 10, rather than ATI 2010.

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    I believe mart44 is referring to an earlier version of Acronis, version 10, rather than ATI 2010.
    Yes.

Thanks
    Sure Rur, I bought 2010 because my Acronis version on XP wouldn't work on Windows 7 64 bit.

I also use 2010 to image my XP drive...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks, for a while I forgot about all those previous True Image versions. My first was 8 and I still have 11 somewhere, but I have no recollection of 10.

mart44
    Version 10 seems to be circa 2006. I think it would be about then that I bought it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast