Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Trouble With Network Connections

I have a similar problem. What I have done to correct it, (which seems to be a temporary fix). We found that calling our own phone number from our phone will sometimes reset it. If that does not work, we reset the modem by unplugging and replugging power cord. I have updated the modem software, but this did not result in a fix. We get service from Qwest. Contacting their support did not result in anything positive. I have 4 PC's connected thru the modem, to a router, and then to a 10/100/gigabyte switch. The only problem I have with this setup is the internet light goes out on the modem and requires some action on my part to get it going again. I am using windows 7, XP home, and XP Pro. I have also had Windows VISTA on for a while. Same problem occurs regardless of operating system. I am convinced that the problem is with service provider not anything in my hardware. I don't know if this is the same problem you are experiencing or not, but would be interested in hearing if you do find a solution. To date, I have not. This problem seems to hit me more on the weekends rather than during the week.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will report back, but I have cable, not DSL as you seem to have.

I may take time tonight to make the call.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Oops, I missed the "cable connection crimp" and cable references. My error.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is such an elementary check that I'm hesitant to mention as you may have already tried it. Disconnect the cable between the modem and the router and using a longer cable if necessary connect the primary computer directly to the modem. This is going to take away network connectivity to everything connected to the router as you can obviously see but if you now experience a failure in the connection to the primary PC you can rest assured that the problem is either the cable feed or the modem. I don't know if they are compatible with your Time Warner cable connection or not but my guess is that they are, the Motorola Surfboard cable modems are great performers and can be had in the $50 to $60 range I believe. Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update.

My cabel in was hitting a 5 way splitter that had 3 terminating resistors and one cable going somewhere in the house. I can just about guarante that that one cable is not terminated.

So, I replaced the splittler with a coupling so that the only device connected is the modem. I just did that recently, and have not seen a connection drop yet, but like I said before, I can go days between problems.

And since I can go days between problems, just connecting the pc to the modem directly is problematic for my household.

THanks for the tips

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I finally gave up and called. It was almost as painfull as I had anticipated.

Since changing my splitter out, I had lost connection once or twice. When I got home this evening, connection was lost, so i called before re-establishing.

After jumping though several hoops, she said she would send out a tech. But she never really acknowledged I had a problem other than simple configuration issues.

Maybe I will know more on Thursday

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update - Good news & Bad news.

I now have a new modem. A Cisco of some sort And I have had a good connection since Thursday afternoon.

Bad news is that the tech said I owned my own modem. The replacement he had with him would be a rental. Why in the heck was I not told this before his visit? I had had enough, and agreed to the rental for the time being.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12