Star Lounger
    Andover, MA USA

Long delay on File/New when disconnected (Word 2000 SR-1)

I have a mix of local and server-based Word templates on the General tab under File/New. Wnen I'm in the office and connected to the network, everything works fine. When I'm disconnected, however, there is a 10-15 second pause for each server-based template while Word/Win2000 figures out that I'm not connected. Eventually I get an "you're not connected" error message for each non-local template.

Is there a way to speed the process up? Perhaps by explicitly telling Word that I'm not connected? Or telling it to ingore server-based templates? Or speeding up it's recognition of that fact that I'm not connected?

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Long delay on File/New when disconnected (Word 2000 SR-1)

You might consider downloading the workgroup templates to your hard drive and using a different profile to log onto your computer when not connected to the network. In that profile your workgroup templates folder would be defined as the folder holding the copies. When you log onto the network, a statement in that script could update your personal workgroup templates using the XCOPY command with appropriate switches.

This would have two advantages: First, you would get rid of the problem you asked about. Second, you would be able to create new documents based on an appropriate template while disconnected from the network.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin