New Lounger
    Thanks

connection to home computers

I have several computers in my home network mostly windows machines. One windows 7 machine will not allow me to connect from vista computers or XP. I get the message that I cannot log on and need a user name and password, but supplying this does not allow me to log on to the win 7 machine. the dialog changes my user name from xxxx to yyy\xxxx where the yyy is the name of a vista machine I am trying to I am trying to log on from while from a xp machine the yyy is the name of the win 7 machine. I have set the workgroup the same in all machines. I find networking in windows as frustrating as working in linux.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Homegroup will only work with Win 7, not Vista or XP. See if this How To Geek article will help.

Edit: Sorry, I got home from work last night very tired and thought I read Homegroup, not workgroup. The article still should help.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-19 at 06:04.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not using home group, but am using work group.

Thanks
    Have you added the same Users and passwords on all PCs? I find that a lot of network issues go away if you add the Vista and XP users to Windows 7 and vice versa.

Jerry