Thanks

Local printers unavailable

Hi,

We have two LANs connected by a VPN. Our buyer who is on one LAN connects to a Point of Sale computer on the other LAN using Remote Desktop. Until now she has been connecting from a Windows Vista Pro system to a Windows XP Pro system. We have purchased a new POS computer running Windows 7 Pro for her to use and she has come up with a problem. She needs to "take her printers" with her. I guess the correct jargon would probably be something like "she needs access to her local printers while using the remote system". It is not working. I just checked it out going from my Windows 7 system to the new system, clicking the Printers box under Local Resources and it doesn't take my printers with me, either. This is a more serious problem than it might sound because POs are generated on that remote system, but printed and/or faxed from the local one.

A bit more background. Her main system is still Vista Pro and no upgrade is in the pipeline at this time. When I enabled Remote Desktop I chose the option that enabled it for connection from any version of Remote Desktop because it was my understanding that only Windows 7 can use the more secure option. Was I right?

Is there any way to make this function actually work? Is it a known bug or a setup problem on my part?

Thanks,

--Brian

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Click the "Start" button on the bottom left of the screen and select "All Programs."

2 Click "Accessories," select "Communications" and "Remote Desktop Connection" in XP or click "Accessories" and select "Remote Desktop Connection" in Vista or Windows 7.

3 Click the "Options" button within "Remote Desktop Connection."

4 Click the "Local Resources" tab.

5 Click "Printers" to select the local printer.

6 Click "Connect" to launch the Remote Desktop connection with local printing enabled.

Read more: How Do I Print From a Remote Computer to a Local Printer in a Remote Desktop Connection? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6898742_do-p...#ixzz1YXMmkkMn
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    We actually do know how to do that. We've done it almost daily for years. The problem is that when we tell Remote Desktop to make our local printers accessible from the remote system, it does not do it. It did do it when we logged into the old XP-Pro system. How do we fix that? I'll read the link and see if it has an answer. But I'm suspecting it does not.

Printers sure are a frustration. You know, Microsoft operating systems have been attempting to print and failing for almost 30 years. And Unix operating systems have been trying to print and failing for something like 42 years. Remember that a computer is an electronic device that takes an input, acts upon it using a stored program, and produces an output? Printers were one of the first output devices for crying out loud. Here we've got all this marvelous networking technology and we still can't print.

--Brian

Thanks
    I have new information. It turns out that the local printer that she needs while on the remote system is CutePDF. When she used Remote Desktop from her Vista Business system to the old XP-Pro system she could print to the local CutePDF printer on her local system. Now that the remote system is Windows 7 this no longer works. She does need to be able to do this. She creates many POs each day and emails them to suppliers. She wants to email from her local system so the history will be in that email client. Saving remotely then copying to the local system and being careful what she names them and where she puts them and all that is costing her a lot of time each day. It could add up to a few hours a week and she already works 80 hours a week during our busy season. (Yep, you try being self-employed if you don't believe me. :-)

It appears that CutePDF, being sort of a virtual printer, doesn't use a port. We are not hung up on using CutePDF, but it is free and on our systems. Is there any other way that she can create a PDF on her local system while logged into and using a remote system through Remote Desktop?

Thanks,

--Brian

Thanks
    Brian,

I'm not sure about CutePDF but I use PrimoPDF, also free, and it lets me decide where to save the file so you just save it to the remote system folder of choice. I also use PDFCreator, also free, for an access database application that maintains our homeowners association records. Each year we email out 350+ association dues bills generated from Access, printed to a directory on a NAS using PDFCreator. PDFCreator let's you set the desired destination in a profile so you don't have to worry about changing it all the time. So if CutePDF won't let you do this you now have 2 other options.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks RetiredGeek. We used to map network drives from machine to machine but that method was unreliable. Now our buyer will not waste her time on things like that. But you gave me another idea. It occurred to me that I had seen an option in Remote Desktop to take our local disks with us when we are on a remote machine. It's slightly buried (You go to options and Local Resources then click the More button below printers.) That works for her so this problem is solved.

Thanks again.

--Brian