New Lounger
    Thanks

An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in ??

I have Windows XP SP3 and IE8. Also recently I have had the RAM increased to 1.25 GB.

Almost since then with IE8 some websites giving me this "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet options for potential conflicts".......BTW, no problem with Firefox.

I have read various articles on the web and played about with "Security Settings" of IE8 but no avail.

Any suggestions please?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Check the Internet Options, Manage Add Ons and see what shows up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    From Microsoft's explanation of the error message:
    A webpage tried to use an ActiveX control or script but your security settings did not allow it.
    If you trust the publisher of the ActiveX control or script, you can allow it to run by removing the website address from the Restricted sites list. If the website is not on the Restricted sites list, you can add it to the Trusted sites list. For information about adding a website to your Trusted sites list, see Security zones: adding or removing websites. If that doesn't work, try deleting the temporary Internet files. If you are unable to change these settings, your computer administrator might not allow you to make the change.

Jerry

Thanks
    Also note that add-ons include Flash Player and other media players. Their ability to run on a web page may be controlled separately from ordinary Active-X Controls. The same applies for Silverlight. Some security programs regulate the behavior of Flash Player and some Javascripts.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please accept my apologies that I did not reply to your answers. Before I disturb you more for your help I was trying to work out a solution to my problem.

Anyhow, I now realized that the culprit (I think) is
    Adobe Flash Player 10.3.183.10.

My PC and netbook has XP, SP3, IE8. If I run Adobe Flash Player 10.3.183.10 I get....in some sites.... "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet options for potential conflicts".......

But if I run Adobe Flash Player 10.3.183.5 I have no problem at all.

Of course I do understand, because of security reasons, I should run Adobe Flash Player 10.3.183.10.

I also have a laptop with windows 7, IE8 and have no problem withAdobe Flash Player 10.3.183.10.

Any suggestions please?

BTW, when someone reply to my post I get no email notification???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Under "Thread Tools" immediately above the first post, select "Subscribe to this thread".

In IE, Adobe Flash is an ActiveX control. See post #3 for links to possible solutions.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK Joe, I understand what you are saying and did try suggested solutions....but as I said, and I do wonder, why it works with older version of Flash Player and DOES NOT work with the latest version, 10.3.183.10 ???

Also it is rather inconviniant to add offended web pages to your "Trusted Sites" constantly.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It may be inconvenient but you should be in control of the security settings on the PC. I see none of these issues on any PC that I work with.

Joe