5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing photos on the net

OK, this is probably a simple one but I just don't know. I need to share some pictures I made with a small group of people. These are not all computer wizards so I need something VERY simple. In the past I tried Picasa; that worked but sharing appeared more complex than I thought; I used DropBox but that requires the other parties to install that... I don't have a website of my own (nor a simple way to setup something... although I do have a NAS behind my router here...).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Eric,

I've found Picasa to be very easy to use. Do you have a GMail account? If not set one up. You can then click on sync Picasa on your computer to use that UID & PW combo and it will sync photos with out even going to a web browser. When I want to share pics I log on to my GMail account, click on Photos at the top then select the alblum {equivalent to the folder they were uploaded from} and select the "Link to this alblum" on the right side. It will give you a link you can copy and then just email to those you want to share with or as I do just past it into your Facebook status and then all your FB friends {note: I have my FB locked down to Friends Only!} can get to it. What I really like is if I change/add/delete a photo in Picasa on my PC it will automatically sync to the web as long as I have an internet connection. You can also select photos in the folder that should NOT be synced by merely right-clicking them and making the appropriate selection.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Another option to consider would be Skydrive

That is normally linked to a Windows Live ID so should make sharing private folders a little easier as presumably your contacts are more likely to have a Live ID than a Gmail address. Another thing to bear in mind is that the Microsoft Live services are becoming more and more embedded into Windows which (in theory) should make them easier to use.

It also offers synchronisation through a feature called "Mesh" but that also involves a download similar to Dropbox.

I'm afraid I can't give such a detailed reply as RG as I only have limited exposure to Skydrive but hope this info may be useful.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Eric,

I've found Picasa to be very easy to use. Do you have a GMail account?
    Yes I have a gmail account and yes, I have tried this with Picasa before. It's sure easy for me but it gave troubles on 'the other side'. These people could typically have no FB and the way to get to read the pictures I posted in Picasa appeared to be an issue (some had to create a Google account, some didn't). All-in-all I didn't think it was simple enough (again: for the other side.... I do agree with you that from my side this was a breeze indeed)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Another option to consider would be Skydrive
    Same answer here: this would require 'the other side' to have or (probably) create an account. That is too much already I'm afraid for some.

I'm looking for a way to post on the net, create e.g. a userID and password and send that and the link out. Everyone can then look and download (if they like). I'm OK if e.g. after 30 days the files disappear

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    Same answer here: this would require 'the other side' to have or (probably) create an account. That is too much already I'm afraid for some.

I'm looking for a way to post on the net, create e.g. a userID and password and send that and the link out. Everyone can then look and download (if they like). I'm OK if e.g. after 30 days the files disappear
    You can do that with SkyDrive. Check out the articles at SkyDrive: Share and Collaborate (particularly the "Sending Links" section, and SkyDrive - how do I change who can access my folders, files, and photos.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But the others will need a Windows Live account, right? That's unlikely to happen; in some cases.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    But the others will need a Windows Live account, right? That's unlikely to happen; in some cases.
    No. read the articles. You can make photos public. You can send links to specific email addresses. Check out the security settings.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Test it with one photo and one recipient who does not have a Live ID.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    No. read the articles. You can make photos public. You can send links to specific email addresses. Check out the security settings.

Joe
    OK, thank you, I'm sorry that I didn't fully read it. I'll try to do this in the coming days and will report back. :-)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tested it just now and it does seem to work! Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad it works for you. thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Eric,

If you're emailing the information why not just email the Picasa link? If you set your Picasa to anyone who has link this should work { I tested it and it worked allowing me to just see the one alblum the link was for} just fine and since you like Picasa this should work for all involved.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-09-20 at 18:16. Reason: Updated Info
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    upload your images there, create files for you images and at the push of a button get links for them
    must be careful on settings.. but otherwise top notch...
    H