New Lounger
    Thanks

Symbols in MSOE eMail

I've recently begun receiving OE emails with symbols similar to the following:
    >I’ve never won one. Maybe that’s what’s wrong with the world. On the other hand, I’ve long been friends<
    I can eliminate the symbols and get readable punctuation by changing the View - Encoding from my default Western European (Windows) to Unicode (UTF-8), but then the nice heavy bold font changes to a smaller almost unreadable paleness.
    If it looks like something I really want to read, I select the Forward icon, then select Format - Encoding - Western European (Windows) again to get readable text.
    I haven't consciously changed any settings recently that might explain this. Is something going on in the digital world that causes this?
    I've been an expert DOS user since 1983, pulled kicking and screaming into the Windows environment when my application versions quit working. Now, a WinXP user, but local tech support for Vista and Win7 users. But, I can't fix this one.

Thanks
    Roy, Welcome to the Lounge.

It almost sounds like some of the messages you have listed are Spam messages. I wonder if some malware got through and installed itself on your PC. I would install Malwarebytes antimalware and run a full scan along with a full scan using your AV app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    In OE go to Tools | Options | Read | Fonts (section) |International Settings (button) and check that "Use default encoding for all incoming messages" is checked.

Joe