New Lounger
    Thanks

Faster way to insert fields in footer (Word 2010)

I often need to insert these fields in my footrs: Path, Filename, Date, Time. Here is how I do it:

I do not use a mouse.

ALT, n, o, e, (see the cursor in footer), ALT, n, q, f, f, (“Filename” s/b selected), alt-p, <CR>, TAB (just to create some space),
    ALT, n, q, f, d, d, (“date” s/b selected), TAB, TAB, select the desired date format with up a/o down arrows, <CR>.

There has got to be a quicker way, sans mouse.

Any ideas? Last resort would be a macro, but happy to go that route.

Thanks
    Solution 1 - Create a template that you use that already has this footer built in. Use that for your documents.
    Solution 2 - Create a macro that builds your footer for you and attach it to a keyboard shortcut.
    Solution 3 - Create an AutoText (building block) to which you can attach a keyboard shortcut. I don't know if you can add this to the footer gallery. You would still have to access the footer to do this.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-09-20 at 10:28.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx Charles,

I'll give option#1 (template) a try. I want it to be my startup template (i.o.w., I startup MS-WORD, and that is my base blank page).

Can someone instruct or point me to url that steps through how to do this?

JIM

Thanks
    Create the template, put a shortcut to it in your Start Menu and on your Desktop. Do not change your Normal.dotm template this way or it will mess up your labels if nothing else. Normal.dotm should never have text.

Note, this will not be triggered by using MS Word from the Start Menu, you have to use the template.

If you want to, you can record a macro creating a new document based on your template and attach a keyboard shortcut to that macro. You can also put the macro on the Quick Access Toolbar.

To create a template, start with a new document, get it set up the way you want, and use Save As. Pick document template (dotx) as the file type. This will automatically put it is your templates folder. To create the Shortcuts, use explorer to find it. (You may have to have it look in hidden and system folders.) Right-click on it, copy, then right-click on your Desktop and Paste as Shortcut. Ctrl-Drag the shortcut to your Start Menu and release it there.

For more on templates see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-09-20 at 13:37.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Create the template, put a shortcut to it in your Start Menu and on your Desktop. Do <strong><em>not </em></strong>change your Normal.dotm template this way or it will mess up your labels if nothing else. Normal.dotm should never have text.<br><br>Note, this will not be triggered by using MS Word from the Start Menu, you have to use the template. <br><br>If you want to, you can record a macro creating a new document based on your template and attach a keyboard shortcut to that macro. You can also put the macro on the Quick Access Toolbar.

For more on templates see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin