Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Lotus Notes lost document (IE 5.0)

Our corporate leaders chose Lotus Notes, and it works fine for e-mail. However, I blame Notes for the loss of four pages of an MS-Word document I worked on an entire day. The story: My boss discovered this "database" tool in Lotus Notes that lets us access files that we commonly use. We all thought (and I guess that was a mistake) that the Notes database stored a link to the original document stored in a shared file on the network. So yesterday, I "launched" a document via the database and proceded to edit it. I added 4 pages to a 4-page document, and I was careful to click on "Save" many times as I worked. Then I closed the document and closed the database. Later I reopened the document via the database and found to my horror that not a trace of my day-long effort remained! Can someone tell me where the *&%$ I went wrong? I never saw a warning or a message asking me if I wanted to save my work. I was working on the document in Word--I was even using the "track changes" feature of Word. But it's gone...everything! BTW: I've searched the temp files on the local and network drives--nothing turned up. Is there somewhere else I can look?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lotus Notes lost document (IE 5.0)

Maybe it saved it to your local drive... I would try "My Documents." Or more accurately, whichever folder to which new files are saved when first created.
    Karen

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but we've already been there. We've checked both local and network drives to no avail. "We" includes a corporate techno-weenie on the phone with me. They're supposed to send a local weenie to my office to see if he can fix the problem, but he hasn't appeared yet. Do you know whether Lotus Notes--by design--does or does not save changes you make to documents stored in its database?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm no LN guru but have been struggling with LN databases for a couple of years now. Whether or not you can save changes to a Word document in the LN database seems to depend on the way in which you have chosen to "store" the particular document. If it is stored as an attachment to a Lotus document, then any changes you make will not be stored unless you attach a new version. If you want to be able to change the Word document in the Lotus database, you need to put it in the database as an "object" in a lotus document. That way you can open the word document, edit it and when you close it Lotus will ask if you want to save your changes.

I lost many a document in just the way you describe until I discovered this aspect of Lotus. As far as I know, there is no temporary save area where the document with all your changes can be recovered. If you don't want to go the object route, then you need to detach the document to a work area, make your changes to it and then re-attach it to your Lotus document.

Hope this helps...at least in the future.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A "temporary" document is created when you "Launch" it from Lotus Notes. It will sometimes start with a tilde (~) or even a number. If you know the exact date it was modified, you could search by date. Also, is sounds like you are on a network... by default, LN uses your "H" (or whatever letter is your Home drive) to work on documents. It is far safer to "Detach" any file you get in LN and work on it from there. You may want to try to go back to the original LN that the file was attached to and open it again to see if your changes are there.

Dennis

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

This is very useful information! Thank you very much! I'm happy to say that our tech support sent up a guy armed with a copy of "Undelete," and he found the file for me! (Well, at least most of it. I still lost a page or so, but this guy's still my hero!) The file was buried somewhere out there on the hard drive waiting to be thoroughly scrapped. We got it just in time! Thanks to everyone who replied.