Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Logitech MK520 Wireless Mouse/KBD

Yesterday I purchased this combo to use with my laptop while on the road in our motor home. I previously had the MK320 combo which worked fine but last time out I forgot to remove the batteries and the one in the mouse leaked destroying the contacts. I had successfully downloaded Logitech's Unifying software and connected another Logitech wireless mouse I had to the same USB connector and this worked. However, the one problem I had with this combo from the start was the inch long USB receiver that had to be removed every time I stowed the laptop for travel.

I'd been eying the MK520 for a while because it has the new Unifying Micro Receiver that not only handles the KBD/Mouse but also other Logitech wireless devices, e.g. digitizing pad, etc., up to 5 per receiver. Unfortunately, this is a $59.99 combo a little more than I wanted to spend when I had a working solution. When I noticed that Office Depot had it on sale for $39.99 and we were currently only 3 miles from one off I went in our toad {RV speak for a car you drag behind your RV} and bought it.

I've been using it heavily for the last two days and must say I just love it. The keyboard has a better feel than that on the MK320 and the mouse is also a bit larger which my big hands like and no more removing the USB receiver as it sits in the USB slot on the left side of my laptop and only sticks out between 1/8"-1/4". One caveat though is if you're into fancy mice you won't like the mouse that comes with this combo as is is just a standard 2 button w/clickable scroll wheel optical mouse. Of course you can step up to the MK700 series and get the fancy mouse or buy a standalone Logitech fancy mouse with the Unifying Receiver then you have a backup receiver to boot.

So if you're in the market for a Wireless KBD/Mouse combo I give this one two thumbs & 8 fingers up!

P.S. Sorry if this sounds link a commercial but I do like it and thought y'all would like to know.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no financial interest what-so-ever in Logitech, unless one of the mutual funds I own is invested in them but if so I don't know about it!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I use the Logitech Anywhere MX mouse on my laptop (smaller size than the regular Anywhere wireless) Uses the stubby USB micro receiver which allows me to store while leaving it in place. I can also give this mouse a resounding positive. I also will issue the same disclaimer as RG. I am presently using the Win 8 Dev Preview and I found that the Logitech Setpoint S/W could not be used because it does not see the Micro Receiver in Virtual Box although the mouse does work with the default S/W that MS Win 8 loaded.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-20 at 20:10.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted,

I'm not using the SetPoint software either. I just plugged it in and Windows 7 and the software on the USB received did the rest.

You have to be careful with identifying the receivers though. The mouse I jury rigged to the old large receiver had it's own micro receiver but it was not a Unifying Receiver! The Unifying receivers have an orange asterisk logo and an orange stripe around them.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Recently I purchased the Logitech M510 and I like it...
    It's a five button and like you, I like it's big size...It's the same shape as a Microsoft I have that isn't working now.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Rg, yes mine also has the identifying marks you mentioned. I only use the mouse at this time, but could add other devices should the need arise. I do use the Setpoint S/W in my Win 7 OS, but cannot in the Virtual Box.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Well Ted, I have this Microsoft keyboard that I hate. Digital Media Keyboard 3000.
    I only bought it because it was inexpensive.

I have this problem when I type sometimes I hit the adjoining key and get a mis-type...I finally figured it out why it was happening..

It seems the MS keyboard keys are of a slightly lower height causing them to be closer together..

I plan on buying a new Logitech soon that will work with the Unifying receiver from the mouse and keep this other piece of crap as a spare.

Thanks
    Sounds like a plan. The only reason I do not have a similar keyboard is that my every day PC is a laptop and the keyboard works pretty well. I just could not get used to the touch pad, although I do occ. use it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I don't use the touch pad on my laptop either...

If you remember, the older keyboards has these nice big keys..You could type with your fist and not double type...

Thanks
    Hi All,

Here's an update. I booted from my Acronis boot disk today and I'm glad to report that the KBD/Mouse both worked before any OS was loaded. I used the F12 key to get to the boot device menu. Then the arrow keys to select the CD drive. Once in Acronis/Linux everything worked just fine. Now I'm even happier that before.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs