4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best way to remove the login/UAC-style password lockdown protection.

When I first set up Ubuntu I put in a password for what I thought was just the login. Turns out its actually UAC turned up to 11 and on steroids. What's the best way to disable this feature?
    The only thing I've found so far is the Passwords and Encryption Keys module with the Passwords:login in it but I don't know if I should just delete it or what. It doesn't seem that just going into User settings and checking the box so a login password is not required will be sufficient, its the UAC-type settings I want to do away with, the login password can stay.

BTW, remote desktop works just fine with UltraVNC but for some reason the Ubuntu box gave me some weird local I.P. to use to connect, which was worthless. I looked up the DHCP assigned address and it popped right in using that.

Thanks
    Doing away with the root password in Ubuntu is a dangerous thing for several reasons.

Check out this Ubuntu Forums thread for information on the issue, including a link to accomplish your aim. Be sure to read all the posts to learn about the dangers.

Check out post 5. You can run as root all the time by logging in as root.

This link will provide you with instructions for enabling the root account.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-09-21 at 11:17. Reason: additional link

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links.