New Lounger
    Thanks

purchased new printer help needed

I just purchased a new printer and need some advice. Do I have to unistall drivers or anything before I set up the new printer? IE deleted everything in the device manager with my old printer named to it. I read somewhere before that you had to but I can't find the post.

Thanks
    If your old printer is still installed just uninstall it. My printer S/W shows up when I open Revo Uninstaller. In my case I would uninstall anything associated with the old printer. I have found that old leftover junk does no good and potentially could cause conflicts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Cando69 (2011-09-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, That is what I have read but I wasn't sure if you had to do that with PNP devices. I was going to uninstall all the software then remove the leftover stuff in the registry but I wasn't sure about the old printer sitting in the printer and faxes section as to deleting it.

Thanks
    You might find that when you uninstall all the S/W, the listing in printer and faxes section will be gone. If not just delete it. I know my printer added quite a few files in the S/W I installed to allow all the features to be used. When I replace it I will uninstall all that extra S/W since it will no longer have a purpose. I believe in keeping all this leftover bagage to a minimum.

By the way you will have to excuse me for being very remiss, I would like to offer a very sincere welcome to the Lounge as a relatively new poster. It's pretty early and I haven't had enough coffee yet.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you are no longer using your old printer, I would uninstall it just to keep the confusion factor down with software when printing since you may be offered your old printer as an option. But it really doesn't hurt functionality in the vast majority of cases to leave it there as long as your new printer is set as the default printer. I have an old unused Canon printer still installed on my main desktop PC simply because I never got around to uninstalling it and it doesn't bother anything. Its really a personal preference.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Cando69 (2011-09-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome Ted and all the help. I have been here since the beginning of them setting up the lounge but I do more reading than I do replying as I am not as advanced as you guys here. I have learned a great deal though. I hear you on the early part. It was around 3 AM when I left the message but I think that isn't my time zone. I think I posted it closer to 5 AM. I'll know when this is posted lol. I hadn't gone to bed yet as I am a sucker for punishment and stay up way too late. I'm just having my 1st coffee now and it is just after 1 PM lol

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Jerry, One of the reasons I asked is because before I bought the printer. I when to a website to read reviews on the printer. There were a lot of good comments mixed in with some that were not so good.. Some of the people that replied on the not so good ones said that you may not have installed the printer properly or deleted the other drivers from old printers causing a conflict. I can't remember the name of the website but it wasn't a store like tiger direct or best buy. I don't trust those sites reviews and wanted to find one were people have owned the printer for a number of months and not days or had just set it up and used it once or twice.

Ron

Thanks
    Having managed a printer repair center for several years, and even run my own Printer Repair business,
    I have some insight about printers in general.

Most printers today are of similar quality and only differ in the user-features, like scanner, auto sheet feeder, Flash Memory Card readers, Paper Feed, etc.

Where I see the most difference is in the drivers and software. I have the least problems with Epson and the most problems with HP.
    Just sayin'......

On every printer I've seen that uses a USB connection, read the install instructions very carefully. In almost every case, they will caution you to NOT connect the printer to the PC and turn it on till the install software asks you to.
    When you follow the install instructions to the letter, the install will usually go off without a hitch.

One printer should never interfere with another. I have four printers installed on this PC and there is NO problem.
    Of course, if you get rid of a printer, it's always best to UN-Install it from your PC, before installing the new one.

Good Luck,
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!