5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1.8TB external drive goes down hard

LANGALIST PLUS

1.8TB external drive goes down hard

By Fred Langa

It can be a disaster when a large Network Attached Storage (NAS) device fails.

Because NAS drives and similar network devices (routers, network printers, set-top boxes, etc.) often base their internal OSes on Linux, sometimes you can repair them with standard Linux recovery tools.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/1.8TB-external-drive-goes-down-hard/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First I would try to power down/re-boot the NAS to see if that would correct things.
    Very interesting article.
    Thanks Fred.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the Mouse w/o Borders utility. Although there's a checkbox for Two Rows, and I used it, I cannot get my laptop display positioned beneath my primary monitor, the way they are physically set up. I can set the notebook display either to the right or left of the monitor in the set-up configuration, but that means moving the mouse left or right to move from the primary to the notebook, instead of the intuitive up or down. Wonder whether they'll address this issue, or just leave it as v. 1.0.0. For now: Uninstalled.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pebkac

Allow me to refresh the term i use in these circumstances. (actually, i've never heard of PEBKAC)
    It's sounds technical enough for the layman to not notice it, when we (in the support-department) use it in the officespace - alas easily recognizable for the ones that are in-the-know, and serves a few small laugh's during the day

Term:
    PICNIC-error.
    Or P.I.C.N.I.C., if you're more of an U.N.C.L.E.-kinda-guy.

Problem In Chair - Not In Computer. (yes, i wrote that in Comic Sans! )

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like I.D.10.T error better myself. I can't read the article (cheapskate) but any single drive has to be backed up elsewhere. I have a 2TB MyBookLive and its backed up, I don't even fully trust my RAID 1 or RAID 5 NAS boxes....they're also backed up...can protect from internal hardware failure but not from external physical disaster so even a RAID 5 needs to backed up (and not exposed to the same threat) to be completely safe from loss.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent article Fred. I wonder how many of us users realize how much Linux is around us in the various devices we use daily.