Lounger
    Thanks

FrontPage and Table Widths (2000)

Hi!

Our Intranet is created using FrontPage 2000. We have a page that has several different tables in it that I have specified as 100% Width in the Table Properties. When I save the page/publish the intranet, FP must be "interpreting" the width of the table somehow because when I look at the table properties again, the Width is set to Pixels and then some number of pixels! It just keeps doing this, which wouldn't be such a problem, except that all of the tables on the page end up being different sizes! Very annoying.
    I have looked through the help, tried "faking it out" by setting the percentage to 99%, all sorts of things, so if anyone else has any ideas that I am overlooking, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
    magella

Thanks

Re: FrontPage and Table Widths (2000)

Did you draw the table? Drawn tables tend to default to pixel measurements. But I've had the same problem occasionally as you've mentioned. Try fixing it in the HTML - weird, but it seems to keep it better then.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usings Frontpages settings for your tables, especially tables in tables can be quite exciting. if you have designed a page, it is best to use absolute pixel settings for all of the tables and the cells. Start out using the wysiwig editor to get a general setup, but then set the properties by hand. Missing out just one cell in a table can give very strange results.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by bobdog on 26-Oct-01 19:14.</P>This is one of a number of differences between IE and Netscape.

I just had the same problem this week, and it drove me crazy. You won't find it in Help or anywhere else I'm aware of -- I had to dig it out by comparing the HTML between a page that worked right and rest that didn't.

Look at the HTML at the top of the table for the line that reads:

table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" align="left"

The align="left" argument is the source of the problem. In table properties, change the Alignment dropdown back to "Default". In my case, it displayed correctly in IE, but Netscape displayed a page that was absurdly wide. The problem went away when I returned to Default Alignment.

What causes it? Who cares. It's just different. Hover Buttons are another "difference".

Hope this helps.

Later: I may have misread your question. I guess it gets down to comparing a well-behaved page with a rogue page.

Did you import your copy from a word processor or type it in? Another issue I had recently was pasting in some copy from a Word Perfect document and ended up with a whole bunch of wierd little tags and strange behavior. Best suggestion I can make if this is the case is to strip out all the formatting and re-mark it.

Lounger
    Thanks

With reference to placing WordPerfect text in FP - both Word and WP have this problem of adding extraneous tags. With either, it is best to Edit/Paste /Special and then use "Normal Paragraphs with line breaks" - this removes the formatting. Then you may edit the text properties.

The same is true of copying text from the body of an email message.

Thanks

Thanks. To be honest, I can't recall ever using Paste Special, going all the way back to Windows 3.1. Useful tip I'll tinker with tonight.