2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to print proportional diagrams in Excel

I carefully set up an image - size is 7.1x7.1cm. Looks right on screen then I go to print it and it has stretched horizontally to 7.5x7.1. This happens on a range of printers and even PDFs. The page size is set to 100%.Why is this happening? How can I fix it?

Thanks
    Can you upload an example file, demonstrating the problem?

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok - I've attached a shhet. The circle is 7.1x7.1 - and looks okay on screen. But when it is printed it gets squashed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing anything skews

Quote Originally Posted by sdckapr View Post
    Can you upload an example file, demonstrating the problem?

Steve
    Here's an even simpler example. An image with a vertical and horizontal line of the same length. Print the image - fine. Insert it into Excel - check scaling - 100% - check print scaling - 100%. Print it and horizontal is now 135 (was 128) and vertical 125 (was 128)

Why? How can this be fixed?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I can reproduce the problem, but don't really have a "solution", I was hoping someone else would have one.

There was a previous discussion on this "quirk" of Excel at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/28183-Circles-in-Excel-print-oval-!-(Excel-NT4-Win2000). The suggestions are to essentially change the objects to display oblong to print circles or to print the graphic in word which does not display the issue and online searches give similar comment. It is not something that Excel seems to do...

Steve

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

JudithKiwi (2011-10-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdckapr View Post
    I can reproduce the problem, but don't really have a "solution", I was hoping someone else would have one.

There was a previous discussion on this "quirk" of Excel at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/28183-Circles-in-Excel-print-oval-!-(Excel-NT4-Win2000). The suggestions are to essentially change the objects to display oblong to print circles or to print the graphic in word which does not display the issue and online searches give similar comment. It is not something that Excel seems to do...

Steve
    Thanks Steve. Turns out I eventually came up with the same solution as in the old thread - namely paste into Word and print from there (from VBA obviously).

Setting the circles to ovals wasn't feasible as the users could rotate them. Worse the scale on the underlying jpeg was right for horizontal measurements but out for vertical - which could cause issues as they were being used for permits.